Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i have an 01 vulcan with a touch under 141k on it and since we got this bull its been making a little noise. Occasionaly under hard acceleration it will rapidly click? until i come off the gas then its fine. Oil light comes on at idle but goes off at around 800rpm. last oil change i used 5w30 high mileage and i use marvel or lucas when i fill up. Performance wise, shes fine just fakes overheating sometimes & i need a new heater core. Any ideas on what it could be?

Things ive changed so far:

Spark plugs, wires and coil pack
Pcv valve & added a catch can
Thermostat
Coolant temp sensor
Coolant flush
Trans vent
Power steering pump & pulley

Things i need to change:

Heater core & hoses
Oil pan gasket
Tranny cooler
Low/intermediate trans servo gasket
OD servo gasket

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Clicks, like engine pinging or CV joint clicking. A tank of super will eliminate the detonation pinging usually.
Hard to diagnose sounds without hearing them.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ummm...what exactly does "it fakes overheating" mean??? :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i said "it fakes overheating" the temp gauge will climb to 3/4 of the way up then drop down. this usually happens when i run it for a while, shut it down to go into a store and start it back. The temp drops in under a minute and then runs fine but id like to know whats causing it. The noise only happens under hard acceleration and stops when i let up on the gas. Oil is good, coolant is good and atf is good so its not from low fluid for sure.

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
When i said "it fakes overheating" the temp gauge will climb to 3/4 of the way up then drop down. this usually happens when i run it for a while, shut it down to go into a store and start it back. The temp drops in under a minute and then runs fine but id like to know whats causing it. The noise only happens under hard acceleration and stops when i let up on the gas. Oil is good, coolant is good and atf is good so its not from low fluid for sure.
You said the oil light comes on at idle. Thus the bearings are worn. New bearings are in order.

-chart-

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, bearings are worn, next question is:

How hard are they to change on a vulcan? Straight through the oil pan or is it a P.I.T.A?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
being a vulcan. I would do the water pump, when you changed the thermostat did you use a motorcraft thermostat? Bulls are picky when it comes to the stat. they only like motorcraft. also are the fans working?
I had a clogged screen on the oil pick up that caused the light to flicker on a mazda minivan at idle. not saying this is your problem. just food for thought.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used a napa thermostat & cts. The "overheating" has calmed itself and i attribituted it to air pockets or a blocked heater hose. As far as taking the "shotgun approach", thats not me by far. I got the car with a hair under 139k and it never had a coolant flush or a tune up so I replaced wear & tear parts. The power steering pump was shot & not pushing fluid so i changed that as well. Plugs were more than well worn & when i xhchecked the wires, some were over spec for resistance. Even after changing the wires, i still had a miss so i checked the coil pack and guess what? High resistance there too (over 3x specified resistance on the primary)

When it comes to cars or anything im working on for that matter, i diagnose before i replace so as to avoid spending money i dont have. I work in a shop so im able to diagnose certain problems easier than someone who cant put their bull on a lift. Even in my shop, we dont have a lot of engine test equipment. Shotguns arent my taste, i prefer accurate semi-auto rifles.

Im simply trying to get some suggestions on what might be causing my symptoms. Ive read that alot of times the oil light is more of an annoyance that a problem but i tried the common fix of using 5w30 but that hasnt stopped the flickering.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Huh didnt know that was there, good catch, i dont normally pay attention to the sidebar, i view these forums on my phone so i just center on the text, ill definitely change it though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts