Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again, my bull is being a PITA as usual & I've come seeking some advice. I noticed a tranny leak the day after the wife & I got our "new" car and it's bugging the hell out of me. So far I've noticed:

Lucas Transmission Fix slowed it down from a raging river to a babbling brook

Over Drive = ATF calling card & Drive = dry

I have AllData at my shop so I took a look and saw a TSB on the Trans Vent saying it could get clogged, leak and resemble a pan leak. I swapped out the Vent but I'm trying to see if it could be something else. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: swapped vent, no change, trans still leaking from between oil & trans pan slightly off to the side of the tc seal. Any ideas? Im adding a 14k cooler and doing a flush this week

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My trans has the same leak, it's the input shaft seal IIRC. Mine only leaks if you "Push" the car hard, for instance driving up a 4000 ft. hill lol. (Cajon pass)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesnt appear to come from the ball housing unless its defying gravity. In a parts explosion it shows OD servo there but looking at the trans it cant be seen from the top. I havent been under the car in a while but Ill have to get under there to see what it is....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update

After taking a better look under the batter tray, i can see the 2 cooler lines going to the tranny, im still going to add that trans cooler but im thinking maybe one of the cooler lines is leaking. Does anyone know where to get a line repair kit? I.E clips & o-rings? The lines themselves are good so i figure ill just change the o rings and the steel clips. In addition, anyone have a cheap source for merc v? Ford told me $6.50 a quart, no gallon availablity and i need at least 15-16 qts to flush trans & ps. I was using dex/merc but id rather use merc v or a synthetic. Thanx

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Mercon V

After taking a better look under the batter tray, i can see the 2 cooler lines going to the tranny, im still going to add that trans cooler but im thinking maybe one of the cooler lines is leaking. Does anyone know where to get a line repair kit? I.E clips & o-rings? The lines themselves are good so i figure ill just change the o rings and the steel clips. In addition, anyone have a cheap source for merc v? Ford told me $6.50 a quart, no gallon availablity and i need at least 15-16 qts to flush trans & ps. I was using dex/merc but id rather use merc v or a synthetic. Thanx
I got Mercon V at WalMart for ~$4.17 per Q.

As for me, I did not flush. (flush = exchange)
I sucked the fluid out with my vacuum bottle and hose. Dropped the pan, cleaned it, changed the filter. Refilled. (7Q) ran few days. Sucked out 7Q replaced 7Q. Only takes me about 5 minutes to remove the fluid. So I am about 75% new, 25% old. Trans shifts better. Especially 1-2 shift.

-chart-

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have reworded it, ill be doing the same thing, ie suck out through dipstick, drop pan & cooler lines, let everything drip out for a while then refill. Ill try ordering merc v online from wally since the closest store is 1 1/2 hrs away but that has to wait til my next paycheck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts