Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I think that guys from local shop overcharged my A/C :angryfire:

It was blowing cold air before, they asked me if I want to recharge. I said yeah what the hell ,why not. They did . Right when I left the shop I noticed that its blowing god damn hot air. Next day it was colder. Third day it was almost like before but that day A/C went off on the highway and when I was exiting the freeway I could smell burning belt. I turned off the car for 30min ,turn it back on and the A/C was working normally. Today in the morning ,when I turned on my Taurus... I could hear horrible noise from under the hood when the A/C was NOT engaged. I opened it up and A/C pulley was trying to spin (Does it supposed when it's not engaged?) like a bit every 2 sec. When I turn on the A/C it gets really loud for the first few seconds and goes silent. A/C is blowing cold air.

Whats the problem here guys?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Umm, why didn't you go right back when you left and had no AC?? :unsure:

But it does sound like your ac could be overfilled. My brother threw a huge can of refrigerant into his truck with perfectly fine ac when he was 16 and the compressor clutch started slipping and the belt was squealing. He shut it off after that and let me know. sounds like the shop just threw more refrigerant in your car that didn't need any, charged you for it, and sent you on your way. Not sure what happens when you keep driving with the ac overfilled, but since you mentioned it was trying to spin when the ac was off (floor only and vent only positions in these cars) then I'd guess that the clutch could have gotten screwed up from slipping.

You need to get your money back, and then take it to a real shop and have the compressor checked out, and the system evacuated and re filled with the proper ammount of refrigerant.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK... So I went to AutoZone today and bought 82.25 inch belt and I'm going to bypass the A/C pulley. I'm really scared that it will snap as it makes horrible grinding noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts