Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I hope all is well. Quick question from a guy who admittedly doesn't know much about cars.

I have a 01 Taurus that has had off and on coolant leaking problems for about a year. I had the water pump replaced a few months back and the problem seemed to go away, but once and awhile, I'd see small puddles underneath the car in the morning before work.

Last week, I was driving and heard what sounded like a pop and quickly I began smelling coolant When i pulled over, I noticed coolant was spraying out from under the car and I took it to my mechanic.

He said that something happened with the timing cover gasket. I had him fix it and I'm getting the car back this week.

My question is whether it's possible that the reason I would occasionally notice leaks was that this gasket was having problems all along and that it finally went.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I have had three timing covers leak and all are intermittent leaks at first. Normal puddle size was between an inch to three inches. The puddle location is always the same which was a six to eight inches behind the center line of the water pump. I never had a pop sound. Your repair should have cost around six hundred bucks. The other common issue is the heater core manifold that will leak but that will be in the center of the car near the firewall.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Two covers for me and my experience was a lot like automender. I am sure I will have to do the 06 one as well some day.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Two covers for me and my experience was a lot like automender. I am sure I will have to do the 06 one as well some day.

Just did my 2006 Taurus about a month ago at 139K miles. I has hoping it was just the earlier 2000s. I had to buy a new cover because of pitting at he lower radiator hose fitting, but it was leaking in the usual spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts