Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 ford taurus wagon.
the hatch locking switch works sometimes, i replaced the actuator and no change.
when i check the voltage at the connector i get a voltage only once in a while,
ive been told it could be the ecm or the pcm, are they the same thing.
ron

·
Registered
402 Posts
The terms ECM and PCM are used interchangeably and are the same thing...but, doubt it has anything to do with the intermittent voltage. My first thought would be a damaged wire that makes contact periodically. Don't know if it passes thru the door jamb harness like those that control the pwr locks and windows on the doors, but that is a common area for broken wires and would make sense. Maybe someone on here knows...or, you could find a wiring diagram. Other thought would be a faulty GEM?

·
Administrator
15,460 Posts
^+1
More likely to be damaged wire in or just outside the accordion between the car body and the hatch. Had that happen on our last wagon

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
^+1
More likely to be damaged wire in or just outside the accordion between the car body and the hatch. Had that happen on our last wagon
This is easy to check and mark it off the list. Been there. The wire in the door may be the issue but likely would effect more than the hatch.
Old school, check the easy to check first.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Sable Wagon LS with OEM sunroof
105 Posts
What chartmaker, jag1959, & Mercrunner have said. Intermittent voltage is VERY likely a bad wire. Assuming only the tailgate lock has the problem, it's most likely the wire harness from the hatckh to body as chartmaker is showing. ECU / PCM rarely fail. Unfortunately, too many people blame them. For electrical problems, always check the voltage first, as you did. Then check the component. Easy by attaching any 12v source to it to actuate it. [Small 12v batteries available at Batteries+ or online such as a 12v 9AH AGM SLA wit F1 terminals that are rechargable.
Suggestion: Don't title your posts with a non specific hello, better to mention the non-cooperating component. Ex "Wagon's tailgate doesn't always lock"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help.
i have replaced the actuator. no change.i removed the boots from both sides and checked for anything out of the ordinary.
everything looks brand new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts