Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just replaced the plugs and wires about 3,000 miles ago to fix a cyl 3 misfire. Every time it misfired it was wet outside. 3000k after the plugs and wires,today the engine started to miss again and its raining. I drove it about 15 min trying to get home and I put it in the garage. I cant find anything wet under the hood, no sparking sound, no visible spark jumping. YES I used die-electric grease when doing the wires.

any ideas? It sure sounds like a coil going bad. But this time I do not know what cylinder because there is no code. The last 2 times it threw a code right away and flashed the CEL. Is it possible these coils go bad and arc internally or out the bottom where there is no spark to see, or hear?

Should mention Duratec 24 v 3.0 thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Likely the coil. Pull it and look for cracks, especially on the bottom. Even if no cracks, could still be near death.

Drive it some more. For small, intermittant missfires, it takes a while for the PCM to set a code. If you have access to a scan tool that will show mode 6 data, you can watch missfires accumulate on each cylinder in real time, and see which one (or ones) are missfiring the most.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts