Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my daughter got a hand me down 01 from her granny. It had a coolant leak and heat wasn't blowing hot.... She was told by someone is was her water pump.
So yesterday I replaced the water pump and thermostat. The thermostat was binding and crooked stuck in the open position so that explains heat being only warm. I hoped the water pump was leaking through weephole even though bearings felt fine.

I get everything buttoned up and top off with zerex g05.
Start and let it run, blows heat , no visible leaks up top.

I look under the car and see a fast and steady stream right under middle of the rear of motor /firewall area.

Any ideas? I looked all around up top and see no leaks.
I read about a possible coolant crossover line that has a steel tubing section that rots out.

I've replaced intakes on 3 of my crown Vic's I've owned over the years due to the intakes failing near coolant passages, could it be a similar deal here?

Any other ideas? This is the first 3.0 I've worked on.
Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found the leak. Timing chain cover gasket right behind the water pump. Looks like it has to all come back off. 馃が

That's what I get for going off the word of someone else and not diagnosing myself 馃か

Registered
That is very typical for that engine. I did four gaskets on my three Taurus. One started to leak again after a few years. It is a laborious job.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is very typical for that engine. I did four gaskets on my three Taurus. One started to leak again after a few years. It is a laborious job.
Even worse when you had it all apart yesterday and only had to pull the tire off , pulley, and a few bolts but now get to do it all over 馃ぃ

It looks like the water pump may stay attached to the cover by the small 8mm bolts. Im debating whether to leave the water pump on the cover and not worry about a new gasket or if I should disassemble,clean, and put another new gasket on?

I used thin layer of rtv on both sides of the water pump gasket. If I put it on dry I wouldn't worry about replacing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts