Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 Taurus SEL V6 DOHC 123,000 miles. I have had a bad egr valve for a while now. Was told not to worry about it since we don't have emissions here. The other day engine light started flashing and engine started "jerking" whether we are idol or moving. Had codes pulled and came up misfire in cylinder 1. And the faulty EGR. So I changed all the plugs and wires. Checked all fluids. Not better. In fact it is worse. Now my exhaust makes a loud "puh puh" when we apply the gas and the engine still jerking. Car also stalls out if we don't keep foot on gas. Seems to be a hissingish sound coming from somewhere under hood. Sounds like air being sucked in. Could my EGR valve be causing this problem? What else should I look for?

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
Sounds like an intake gasket leak. Doubtful the EGR system is the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have found a few new problems this morning on further inspection of car. 1 the exhaust is blowing out white smoke. 2 there seems to be a tinge of what I believe is oil in my coolant. 3. My coolant that I filled up 2 weeks ago is now half gone. 4. Car stalls even when gas is applied now. So we are believing it maybe the head gasket, intake manifold, or the intake gasket leak. Or who knows maybe all the above. lol

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Time to have some fun tearing down an engine! I hope that head gasket jobs are easier on the Duratec than on the Essex, 'cause otherwise you can kiss a week of your life goodbye. (That includes waiting for the machine shop to rebuild the heads.)

Totally worth it though, for about $500-$600 in parts you can have a reliable car back. Try finding another car for that price that doesn't have pending repair issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts