Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to swap my engine,... actually,.. my bottom needs to be changed,.. a bearing spun on it,.. and it started to knock loud,.... well.. got a doner car,.. that is year 2000, with good bottom,.. my question..///;;

1..is the tranny same for the years..?? 00 and 01.. they both have 12valve vulcans..
the reason for asking,.. is my tranny is still good,.. but due to the technicality on the torque conv,.. I thought may be better to leave the torque converter with the donor's engine... if and only if they are the same one's.. just don't want to take it apart again,.. if something does not match,.. you know it's a lot of work involved,... some infos that I found saids it changed ,.. and some say that is same for those years,.. very very confusing,... well I'm not an expert on this,.. your expertise and suggestions,..... or am I wrong on the toq conv issue..??? should I just use mine,,..?? just replace the engine only..?? :rolleyes: ..
your input is appreciated,..

2...I'm planning to use the existing tops,..; intakes,.. and heads,.. etc,.. I guess I would have to
do a gasket job with it,.. reason is that I had head redone,.. resurfaced,.. etc,..not too long ago,.. and ran fine,.. so it's good,.. I know it....
donor's car's head is unknown,... for it is not running at this time,.. and missing some parts on the tops,..etc,... I'll guess it's very obvious,.... but your suggestions are welcome on this as well...

if anyone had some experience,./ or knowledge on this,.. your inputs will be appreciated,.. thanks.. jc...

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
What's with the odd punctuation?

For the trans, you have to make sure it's the right trans. The Vulcan came with either the AX4S or the AX4N and the parts are not interchangeable between the two.

And yes, you should change out any gaskets you take off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for fast response,... Owertz... well.. you mean they put two different kind of a trans on those years,.. on volcans..?? so I would have to check for the right one..?? if so,.. there's a chance that I might have to use the tanny that I got now,..
if that is the case, how hard will the torq conv. replacement be,..?? what do you think..??

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Don't know about the torque converter, but yes the Vulcan came with either the AX4S or AX4N until 2003 when it had the AX4N exclusively.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your info... I'll check the tranny type first thing in the morning. and will post my outcome of this project...jc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.. Lucky me.. they both habe ax4n... during searches,. I found that in 00, only 1/4 was put on with ax4n's... and I happen to get that one.. lucky me.. ha ha..

anyways,.. with the swap,. first I'm gonna try my best to swap tranny and bottom together... the problem that I see is; tranny looks bulky and wonder if it's gonna make it through the hood area... I'll try to take off all the radiator,.. and ac condensor,.. etc.. to leave more room to come out... if I can't make it,.. I'll try to take the engine from the tranny,.. and take out separate..and have to face the t/c issue later..

will use my existing 01 tops and heads and do the gasket job.little different,.. and don't want to have any problems afterwards..

any inputs advises, tips,..etc. will be appreciated with your expertise..jc.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The trans will come out the bottom a lot easier than the top. Especially since you're replacing the engine too, you may want to consider dropping the whole subframe assembly out the bottom of the car and doing all the work off the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.. thanks for your input.. but don't have a lift.. I'm not a mechanic,. but have done some work on my cars during 20+ years of driving.. I know it takes a lot to do such a job.. heavey, complications, etc,.. but I'll be working in my home garage..can't afford to take it to a mechanic at this time.. bad recession... we all feel it bad.. yeah... and that's the time when extra expense things come up.. well.. you ge t the point. anyways.. more inputs are welcome... thanks... jc..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts