Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here. I have an 01 taurus ses with a factory moonroof. I've owned the car since January of this year and purchased it with only 41,xxx miles. The car has a factory moonroof and was working without issue until yesterday. I went close the moonroof and instead of closing, it bypassed the closed position and vents instead. I used to have to hold the button until it closed. If I wanted to VENT the moonroof, I would have to push the button forward after it was closed. I now have to hold the button down and manually stop the moonroof from closing, eyeballing when it "looks" closed. Any advice? It's almost like a "stop" isn't catching.... unsure....

Any help would be great!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I would pop off the light lense, then unsnap the holster for the bulbs and button. Remove the button, and use contact cleaner on it. See if that helps. My car originally you had to hold the button down to open the moonroof. Now Just touch the button and it slides back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Did as you posted however I'm still having the same problem. Power wise the switch works just fine. I can press it once and the sunroof goes back without issue all on it's own. To close, I push and hold the button (like usual) and instead of stopping in the closed position, it just keeps moving to the vent position. there is no definite STOPPED position when it's closed. In order to make sure there is a seal, i have to get out of the car and make sure the sunroof is level with the roof. Is there a "stop" in the track somewhere that tells the sunroof it's closed?

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
A switch simply directs the power supply to where it needs to go when you select what you want. If something in the control switch itself or a safety stop is defective the moonroof motor will bypass normal switch control. Also check wiring because there may be insulation worn off one. Maybe try a junk yard switch---?

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Roof

Hi, I'm new here. I have an 01 taurus ses with a factory moonroof. I've owned the car since January of this year and purchased it with only 41,xxx miles. The car has a factory moonroof and was working without issue until yesterday. I went close the moonroof and instead of closing, it bypassed the closed position and vents instead. I used to have to hold the button until it closed. If I wanted to VENT the moonroof, I would have to push the button forward after it was closed. I now have to hold the button down and manually stop the moonroof from closing, eyeballing when it "looks" closed. Any advice? It's almost like a "stop" isn't catching.... unsure....

Any help would be great!
In the headliner above the rear seat is a little door. It pops off. Inside you will find the motor and a switch and a round cam that hits the switch. That is what tells the motor to stop when it ends it's forward travel. And other travels also.

-chart-

·
Registered
26 Posts
Typically there is also a reset procedure you can perform to make your moonroof work normally again... I know my Focus does; I just never had a moonroof on a Taurus. It should be outlined in your owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
There's nothing in the Tuaurs owner's manual.

and :lol: at your avatar CaysE

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Roof

According to the wiring diagram, it is all mechanical/electrical switches.

I got a sun roof out of a Pick-a-Part yard and used a protable battery and hot wired the motor to get the glass open so as to access the screws. If you hot wire the motor to go back, then to the front, it just keeps on going to the rear up vent position.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yea that was the impression I had as well from the wiring diagram.

12volt drill batteries are great for JY runs, especially when you need something like a seat or like in your case, a sunroof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so is there a reset procedure anyone has heard of or do I need to investigate the cam and switch in the back seat. If I need to take the 2nd step here, what do I need to look for or replace?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I'm guessing that it would be the cam on the motor, sort of like the internal limit switches in a garage door opener that tell it when to stop moving the door.

·
Registered
26 Posts

:D Thanks... but that just seems odd that there isn't a reset procedure in your manual. Try the following just to see if it works:

Open the moonroof and hold the open button for 10 seconds, then close it all the way to vent and hold the button there for ten seconds, and then see if it closes properly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did anyone figure this out yet?

I'm having the same issue with mine, a 2001 Taurus SEL.

By the way anyone know a source for the Little Door that covers the Motor? Had no idea the door was missing until the wife started playing with the Moon roof and it started acting as described by the previous poster. Runs fully to either end position but doesn't auto stop at closed, but can by click at a time controlled to close (as long as you don't go past it either way).

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I just did a saturn in dec with the same issue... went to the junk yard and grabbed a used one and it solved the issue. I didnt have time to mess with it.
I would start by cleaning the switch, and the motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts