Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
01 Mercury Sable wagon LS Premium SABLE 3.0 soon to be my daily driver
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What could cause the wires going to crankshaft position sensor to burn up? And what could that have hurt? If any of you folks have run into this before, I'd like to know what I'm in for. Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Wood Rectangle Composite material Fashion accessory Metal Wood Rectangle Composite material Fashion accessory Metal

·
Administrator
15,301 Posts
While not a routine fail it isn't uncommon to have trouble with the CKP connector and leads. Chaffing and moisture exposure are a bad combo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a major power steering leak. And then decided to wash the engine bay. Stupid. I'm still fixing components. Thankyou for your reply. Would any one happen to know what the bare wire going to CKP is for?

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
I have seen similar damage to wires more than once. That looks like damage from small critters (mice, squirls, etc) chewing off the insulation. No clue why, but small animals love to chew thru wire insulation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's a 2 pin plug. And there are 2 insulated wires going to it. Also there is an uninsulated wire with them. But I have no idea where it goes. It reminds me of the common ground in house wiring. I need to know what it goes to. If anyone can steer me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
Crank sensor is a variable reluctance sensor (as are the ABS wheel sensors). Coil of wire wrapped around a magnet. As the ferromagnetic toothed wheel rotates past the sensor it distrubs the magnetic field from the magnet. The change in the magnetic field induces a voltage in the coil (Faradays Law). This voltage is quite small, typically only around 200 millivolts in the underhood environment that is electrically noisy.

My guess is the extra bare wire is meant to be a shield to limit electrical noise the sensor picks up. Assuming I am correct, the bare wire will be connected to a good ground somewhere under the hood.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think Jeff is right on the money. I just pulled a Crank Sensor pigtail for my '98 Explorer and it has the two wires to the plug and, somewhere within the sheathing, a third bare wire is introduced. I couldn't follow it as it disappeared into a bundle of wires at the point in which I cut it. Also, all three wires were spiral-wrapped together with a thin strip of aluminum within the sheathing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would recommend checking the ground under the cowl. remove the screw, sand the sheet metal and the terminals, reattach, and put a dab of grease on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts