Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my pan to change the filter and notice the shop who rebuilt it 45000 miles ago put 2 rubber seals on the filter and glued it up in the hole. This was a pain in the you know what to clean off so I could install the new filter. I noticed there was no metal tab style bracket to hold the filter up there. It this right?

Ever since I notice about every other morning I start the car I get a momentary whine, like a hydraulic unit is low on oil. But it goes right away.

Could the filter be slipping out of the hole a bit, then the suction pulls it back up and the unit seals causing the noise to stop?

It didnt do this before, and yes I have the fluid level right in the middle of the hatched area on the stick. No leaks under the car, no loss of fluid.

Does anyone have a picture of the bottom of this trans to show me a bracket if there is one? I need to know where to put it.

Thanks

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Dont know for sure about an 01 ax4n, but on a 99, the filter neck has a rubber-coated metal band seal pre-installed that pops up into the hole and the built-in plastic clips go around the end pipe(tube). No fasteners hold it in place. Simply coat the new seal with fresh atf and pop filter into place after removing old seal from tranny. Should feel(hear) a pop when positioned properly.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Its important to make sure the entire old seal is removed from the tranny before attempting to install new filter. Some people have dug out only the rubber coating and left the metal band stuck in the recess. After old filter is removed, carefully pry old seal with a small screwdriver and pull out with needle-nose pliers. Take care not to knick the soft aluminum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No one knows if there is something other than the seal or the pan holding the filter up inside the trans? Anyone got a picture of what holds it up there is there is?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
the bottom of the filter rests on the trans pan...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I took it off again, filter stayed in place. Seemed tight in the hole. I put it back together and am going to forget about it.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
I always push the neck into the hole in the valve body and give the filter a wack or 2 with a rubber mallet to fully seat the neck in the hole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts