Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to find a '01-'04 SEL/SES (duratech30) that's been hit in the front or something. In other words, something that may need a little body work, but will be cheap because it's got a salvaged title.

Right now I've got a '01 SE, but I want to play around with another Taurus, and try some things that will take over a day (I can't take apart my daily driver now can I ;D).

Does anyone know where to look online for something like this? I've seen a couple ($3,500-$5,000), but I was hoping to find some a bit closer (I'm in NC).

G

·
Welcome to the club!

The only thing I could think to try would be ebay or try calling local junkyards in your area. :)

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Jason. I've been a a member of a few other forums, but I already think that this will educate me the most, because of its specialization in my car. ;-)

Yeah, I'm always keepin my eye on eBay. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of them want over $6,000 for something that can't leave the lot on it's own. :) Also, I'm going to start driving around the nearest bigger town. Ours only has one real junk yard, and I bet there's only 20-30 cars in there. Yay for 25,000-person population counties. :p

I want a project Taurus from these years. I know people have been telling me that trying to put in a manual in these cars is a waste of money (as well as some of the other mods I want to try), but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. My first car was a '96 GL that I drove until it fell apart (then again, I bought it from my Dad's company, and it already had 110,000+ miles on it), and I've always loved the Taurus.

Well, if anyone has any links to online junk yards please post them!

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jun 13 2004, 05:38 PM
You should get an older project Taurus, like a 96-99 ;) They are cheaper and easier to find parts for.. unless, of course they are Red... :p
cheaper for the body, yes, but wouldn't it be the same chance to find parts? isn't it pretty much all the same except for the body? if not, is there a good site that tells the dif between the '96-'00 and '01-current?

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
The body style Taurus you have started in 2000, not 2001. The gen 3 (round Taurus) was from 96-1999.

There was a gen 4 Taurus on eBay for about 3k that had been hit from the rear not too long ago.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
first, let me say: i love the avatar :D i always hated when my '96 would top out at 110+ :)

anyways, since i haven't found much info on the internet, does anyone know where there might be good documentation for differences between gen3 and gen4? the haynes manual says it applies for '96-'01, so i'd assume they're at least pretty similar

G

·
The 96-current are VERY similar but there are quite a few differences. One thing I would point out is that the 01-current tranny's seem to be the best (*knocks on wood*), but if you're putting in a manual you may not care about that. :)

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heh, i meant the dif under the hood. ;) i know the dif in looks, cause i've owned both a gen3 and gen4 :D

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The Gen III and Gen IV both use the same engines, and as far as I know, they both use the same transmission, the AX4N. There are slight differences though, for instance, the Gen IV has a plastic upper intake manifold, whereas the Gen III has an aluminum one. That is really the only difference I can think of. A 04' Duratec is more or less the same engine as a 96' Duratec.

If I were you, I would try to pick up like a 98' with a Duratec and play with that. They're much sexier cars, although they are heavier. I've seen wrecked Gen IIIs for like $2000 or less. Obviously, you should look in other counties if you only have like 20-30 cars in your junkyard. I'm sure that there are plenty of junkyards in your area, though...where do you live???

JR

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Firespirit, I just was looking at your sig and noticed that you have white-faced glow gauges. How did you install them? I bought some, pulled my cluster, pulled the needles, put them in, and then re-applied the needles, and...BAM, screwed cluster :)

first, i screwed up placement of the speedometer needle, and it was semi-stuck, so that it might once and a while jump around on the board, usually 20mph off. none of the other gauges worked after that. second, how do you power that thing? i was left with two power wires, and i had no clue as to where to hook them up to!

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 14 2004, 06:31 AM
The Gen III and Gen IV both use the same engines, and as far as I know, they both use the same transmission, the AX4N. There are slight differences though, for instance, the Gen IV has a plastic upper intake manifold, whereas the Gen III has an aluminum one. That is really the only difference I can think of. A 04' Duratec is more or less the same engine as a 96' Duratec.

If I were you, I would try to pick up like a 98' with a Duratec and play with that. They're much sexier cars, although they are heavier. I've seen wrecked Gen IIIs for like $2000 or less. Obviously, you should look in other counties if you only have like 20-30 cars in your junkyard. I'm sure that there are plenty of junkyards in your area, though...where do you live???

JR
Yeah, I plan to start going around more to bigger cities (I live in Sanford, NC, and plan to start trying to look around Cary and Raleigh, about 40min-45min away).

well, if they have the same engine, i would start trying to look for a '96-up duratec/salvaged car.

sexier? beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;) i've really started to fall in love with the gen4 looks.

looks like i may end up trying to get just the engine and then buying another beater to drive from here to work. looks like i might end up having to tell my co-worker that i AM going to go ahead with the duratec engine change instead of trying to find a 92-93 SHO and fix that up. (then again, it may be which ever i can find first ;D)

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n@Jun 14 2004, 06:33 AM
Hey Firespirit, I just was looking at your sig and noticed that you have white-faced glow gauges. How did you install them? I bought some, pulled my cluster, pulled the needles, put them in, and then re-applied the needles, and...BAM, screwed cluster :)

first, i screwed up placement of the speedometer needle, and it was semi-stuck, so that it might once and a while jump around on the board, usually 20mph off. none of the other gauges worked after that. second, how do you power that thing? i was left with two power wires, and i had no clue as to where to hook them up to!
lol, I made the mistake of pulling off my needles as well. You're supposed to keep the needles on and slip the gauges over the needles. I still need to re-do my RPM gauge (which is now at 3K when the car is off :lol:)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm waiting for my white faced gauges to be delivered, as well as the aluminum gauge bezel from Sarah, so when I get them, I'll do a write-up. PM to remind me to do it.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
holy crap, i would've never thought of slipping them over

firespirit, where do you connect the power leads?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts