Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

'00 Wagon Rear Ball Joint Replacement

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  oiler1fan 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've got a 2000 Taurus Wagon with the following problem:

Just took my '00 Taurus Wagon to inspection and was told the rear ball joints are loose and should be replaced.
After checking from three different shops I came to the conclusion that Ford indeed does not supply those rear ball joints separately. Therefore it seems I'm going to have to change the spindles on both sides. Just feels weird to have to use so much $$ for such a small problem. I'm wondering if this is really the only way to get those ball joints replaced.

Has anyone found a way to replace the rear ball joints only and if yes, where could replacement joints be found. Any other insight would be highly appreciated as well.

With best regards,

P.Tuominen

#3 ·
sorry for bumping up that old topic, but SHOZ123, you are wrong.

There IS a ball joint in the rear suspension of the wagons, and the ball joint is right the same as used for the front suspension and it can be pressed-out the same way as it is done for its replacement in the front. It is really strange, why ford manuals do not highlight this ball joint as a separate unit, and offer to replace it as a whole spindle :dunno: (compare the price for a new spindle and for a new ball joint).

This "operation" was successfully done by a friend of mine, who owns 98' wagon. (the rear suspension for 00 wagon is the same)

Attachments

#4 ·
I have a similar problem. The ball joints are OK - for now - but the dust boots have completely rotted off and the joints are exposed. So can I order and use the same ball joints as used on the front? I just replaced the front ball joints for the same reason - dry rot - which is a particular problem in the climate here. Anything rubber gets baked out of existence after a few years.

#5 ·
QUOTE (Torzer @ Feb 5 2009, 05:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=699070
sorry for bumping up that old topic, but SHOZ123, you are wrong.

There IS a ball joint in the rear suspension of the wagons, and the ball joint is right the same as used for the front suspension and it can be pressed-out the same way as it is done for its replacement in the front. It is really strange, why ford manuals do not highlight this ball joint as a separate unit, and offer to replace it as a whole spindle :dunno: (compare the price for a new spindle and for a new ball joint).

This "operation" was successfully done by a friend of mine, who owns 98' wagon. (the rear suspension for 00 wagon is the same)[/b]
Torzer, please help!!

What ball joints did your friend find as replacements for the upper/rear on the wagon??

Thanks much.

#7 ·
QUOTE (Torzer @ Jun 5 2009, 12:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730304
they are the same as for the front . so buy the same replacement parts (ball-joints) as for the front suspension. Or do you ask about the brand? :huh:[/b]
I can confirm the rear ball joints are the same as the front. I just had mine replaced at the Mercury dealer with no problem - and I installed the camber adjustment cam bolts at the same time. Now I'm off on vacation for five weeks, see y'all later. :banana:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.