Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 Taurus SEL DOM 8/2001 with a 3.0L DOHC with an automatic transmission. It has 244K miles on it but still runs pretty good.
I have obtained a 2000 Taurus SES DOM 05/2000 with a 3.0L DOHC with an automatic transmission with only 70K miles on it. I understand that there are some differences in the two. I noticed that my 2002 has spark plug wires while the 2000 has individual coil packs on each plug.
Can I swap the motors, transmissions, subframe and suspension? Will there be some modifications required?
I do all of my own mechanic work and have access to ALLDATA.
Any helpful advice will be most appreciated.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
I have a 2002 Taurus SEL DOM 8/2001 with a 3.0L DOHC with an automatic transmission. It has 244K miles on it but still runs pretty good.
I have obtained a 2000 Taurus SES DOM 05/2000 with a 3.0L DOHC with an automatic transmission with only 70K miles on it. I understand that there are some differences in the two. I noticed that my 2002 has spark plug wires while the 2000 has individual coil packs on each plug.
Can I swap the motors, transmissions, subframe and suspension? Will there be some modifications required?
I do all of my own mechanic work and have access to ALLDATA.
Any helpful advice will be most appreciated.
Lots of differences but need to swap the PCM and wire changes. Hard to tell about fuel systems. I do know '01 is different from '00 and '02. Chances of interchange need lots of investigation. As to '00 and '02 having the same fuel system? '02 likely has FPM control fuel pump and '00 likely has fues pressure regulator.

-chart-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there differences in the '00 "long block" so to speak that would keep it from running with the '02 PCM, fuel system etc., if I just used those '02 parts on the '00 engine and transmission?

·
Registered
442 Posts
If the long block includes the heads, I think the waterpump location is one issue. On 2001 + duratecs, the pump is driven by one of the camshafts. 2000 is a "one only" year for the duratecs and I think AX4N transmissions as well, unfortunately. Maybe you could get a way with swapping the cooling system, but there is still an uncertainty.
I think the era where newer car engines could be easily swapped ended in the 80s. Cars built after that are very specific, especially with all the integrated, electronically controlled components. It can be done, just with a lot of electrical issues; dashboard lights, etc.
There are aftermarket electronic control systems with fuel injection and transmission control, but they cost thousands of dollars and you have to learn how to program them.
P.S. subframe and suspension is probably identical between 00 and 02, and even 96-07, so that part is easy. For rear suspension, a lot of parts are interchangeable even from 86 to 07.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the long block includes the heads, I think the waterpump location is one issue. On 2001 + duratecs, the pump is driven by one of the camshafts. 2000 is a "one only" year for the duratecs and I think AX4N transmissions as well, unfortunately. Maybe you could get a way with swapping the cooling system, but there is still an uncertainty.
I think the era where newer car engines could be easily swapped ended in the 80s. Cars built after that are very specific, especially with all the integrated, electronically controlled components. It can be done, just with a lot of electrical issues; dashboard lights, etc.
There are aftermarket electronic control systems with fuel injection and transmission control, but they cost thousands of dollars and you have to learn how to program them.
P.S. subframe and suspension is probably identical between 00 and 02, and even 96-07, so that part is easy. For rear suspension, a lot of parts are interchangeable even from 86 to 07.
That answers a lot of my questions. Thanks a lot for the advice!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed the title for you.
Thanks for the title change, I'm new at this.

It sounds like this job to swap everything over would be more trouble than it is worth. Anyone have a low mileage '02 Taurus 3.0 DOHC engine and transmission they would like to trade for a '00 3.0 DOHC engine and transmission with only about 70K miles on it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts