Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so its time to tune-up my tec & solve these misfire/bank codes and maybe even figure out where this leak is coming from. i cant spot it i can only smell it & see the occassional smoke coming from under intake. i didnt know where to post this but this week i'll be replacing the following:

UIM/LIM gaskets
EGR valve gasket
DPFE
PCV valve & elbow hose
valve cover gaskets (maybe)
fuel filter
fuel injector O-rings
air filter
stock plugs >>> autolite iridiums
(oil/filter change)

and im sure i will find other stuff here/there that needs attention while she's naked. while im at it i'll also be doing Big3 when my 1/0 gauge & terminals ships, cleaning tb passages & manifolds, and painting UIM/filter box/optima/etc..

a lot going on & i work every day this week! but i should be able to finish by saturday. i will be posting updates/pics on my progress. wish me luck im going to need it :lol2:

any feedback/cautions/pointers/criticisms are welcome!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Smoke from under the intake? BTW that manual on the floor is a big pile of junk when working on the DOHC motor. It's written for a Contour 2.5L DOHC. Bozos.

If the smoke is coming from under the car and coming up through the engine bay, you probably have an oil pan gasket that needs to be replaced. Very common thing that is needed on the 96-03 DOHC motors. The leak usually has the oil dripping right onto the Y pipe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah my '98 oil pan gasket was leaking BAD. not enough to drip but half the pan had a fresh coat of oil on it @ any given time. i just never knew it could cause smoke. i get the smell on occasions in the cabin but its almost more of a fuel burn or exhaust burn smell. its VERY strong when it comes in & usually comes in with my heat turned on.

i got the UIM off tonight & it was a coating of oil from tb opening all the way to LIM. is that normal? how do i clean it all out?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
carb cleaner will clean it out.

it is normal bc of the PCV right after the TB.

It looks like you are doing all the nessary stuff for the 100k mile + duratec tune up.

Also, rotate your coil packs.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you are getting a fuel smell in the cabin, Ford has a TSB out about that. had it done on my car...it's due to the valve cover gaskets. But since you are already replacing them, you have it taken care of!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Definitely do valve cover gaskets. I didn't when I did my intake gaskets a year and a half ago and I regret it. Just another leak source on the S.S. Duratec.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right! that smell makes me want to jump out my window with car still in drive @ times..

how and why would i go about rotating coil packs? not challenging that suggestion just want to understand so i can do it properly..

i just got home from working all day (going to work after staying up all night makes time literally slow down. fact) but no sleep for me. my manifold should be dry from its bath. didnt have tb/carb cleaner so i soaked it in dawn & hot water then sprayed & scrubbed with wire brush/toothbrush/degreaser. rinsed. rinsed. scrubbed. rinsed. then one more cycle of dawn before leaving it to dry out. tonight i will prep it with alcohol along with some other parts (painting my optima so im anxious to see how it will turn out). in the morning i will lay down the primer

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also i bought some rtv for my UIM/LIM/valve gaskets but i dont know how much to apply. should i coat both mating surfaces or only one? and do i coat every part of the gasket in RTV? never really caught any sound advice on that seems like people just get creative @ this part. not something i want to 'exercise creativity' on.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
No rtv on the intake gaskets on tecs. Valve (cam) covers get some at 4 areas on the ends. Locations should be evident when removed. According to my haynes manual, lim gaskets on vulcans receive some rtv?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
No rtv on the intake gaskets.
:werd:

So rotating the coil packs will help promote better wear on them. V8 SHOs suffer from cracked coils on the bank of cylinders right next to the firewall due to exhaust heat buildup. DOHCs have the same problem on 2000s and 2004-5s. Rotating them will hopefully prolong their life, at least that's what V8 SHO owners suggest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
update:

i know it seems like i abandoned the thread lol but between servicing the bull and my work schedule i havent had much time for tcca. so here's an update on progress.

as far as pulling the manifold i removed the intake hoses/tube and MAF housing (for painting)

then i pulled the throttle body & EGR..

several hoses to either side of manifold and after that it is ready for take-off..

def had to cover LIM after this pic or there would be HELL to pay! but @ this point i took the manifold & other parts inside for a spongebath.

now as far as painting here's the manifold prepped and primed twice..

and what WAS my optima red-top: prepped/promoted and twice primed..

various other parts prepped/promoted/primed ..was too lazy to take pic after prime numero dos

here is the manifold after 2 coats. i will probably give it one more & a clear. time is running out..

optima purple top (yeah i didnt know they made those either) i will leave the positive markings red and paint the negative black just to dummy-proof it. dummy = anyone that takes longer than 20 seconds to pop/prop a hood

and everyone else in the class..

still have a lot to do in the next 36 hrs ..wish i had a day off!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
btw if the paint looks like its different shades i think thats from the flash on my phone. i really rushed those pics just to log progress

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
all done

update:

sorry i havent been able to post lately but i finished the project this past wknd. this is my 1st day off so i can finally post all the pics & results. on the tune-up end of things all is mechanically sound now. no more CELs, no more rough idle, no more misfire, etc. so here is the rest of the work..

so here she is with the UIM removed

then i started removing spark plug wiring and other wires that blocked rear valve covers off. and also removed this bracket which was a b_tch. there were 3 torx size t25 that had to come off. which wouldve been easy if they werent ROUNDED OUT!!! also the ground strap bolt which held this bracket from the rear had two different nuts on it. 11mm & 13mm. i thought that was just special.

in the lower-left of this pic is the thread that the hood ground strap (braided wire) is attached to. good spot for big3 ground & you can access it easily with engine fully installed. just reach behind manifold and coil then feel for where the valve cover ends and you will run into it. takes two different size sockets to remove the nuts

coil pack & bracket off..

this is when my DPFE sensor nipple snapped off into the silicone hose that goes to the exhaust tube. that took about 40mins of fun to fix..

so rear valve cover comes off & this is what i find. quarter-size hole in the cover!!!

ran off to the junkyard & found a good donor car for valve cover

:lol2: okay not that one.. but i pulled a valve cover from a 2000 & my fel-pros came in for overnight shipping! (still about $20 cheaper from rockauto for overnight versus any autoparts store for (place_name_here) brand. so it was a good day

next i cleaned all mating surfaces. looking good @ this point

changed injector o-rings. didnt really get into cleaning them. i'll save it for 100K

changed pcv valve & elbow hose

put on a new fuel filter. the old one was so rusted & corroded. took about 20mins to unbolt from car and another 20mins to remove the fuel lines.

the oil filter was even worse! someone decided to torque the old one to 1000 ft/lbs!!! i worked it with my hands until it had dents in it from gripping. probably spend an hour total on it. the last 30mins trying to angle my filter wrench around the cat & o2 sensor. i finally positioned it enough to crack it about 1/32 of a turn at a time haha. but has anyone ever even heard of these??? pentius???

smooth sailing from here. just reassembled the manifolds/throttle/intake. cleaned out EGR passages. they were chocked full of carbony goodness.

at this point i had everything reassembled & fired engine. had erratic idles that would surge between 500-3000rpm and eventually stall the engine. i tinkered around and found a vacuum line behind the manifold that didnt seat properly. after that she idled better than brand new! drives like a dream. i couldnt believe the difference! i recommend this procedure for any TEC overdue for a tune-up. but here's the engine after reassembly..

after the original owners' abuse i felt this car deserved a purple heart. im not finished yet with cleaning & engine painting. i have some purple loom, shrink wrap, 2 more cans of paint, and ideas left & right. so dont touch that dial

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The 10 year old Duratec tuneup. Well worth it. Good job on the maintenance! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Nice write-up, I'll have to tackle these someday and I'll remember your purple paint when the time comes. Looks great!

I'd probably do mine emerald green though. :lol2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts