Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Taurus was a 97 Vulcan. I yanked the motor and threw a had a new one dropped in in a weekend. Plenty of room to work, simple - I dropped the new motor in and made a quick buck from the flip.
I stumbled across a 2000 w a bad motor in perfect shape for $600 recently thinking I could make a seriously quick turnaround and good money. What a nightmare this thing is!!! What were the engineers thinking when redesignin the rather simple layout from the previous model???
Has anyone noticed just how HARD it is to do anything in the rear bank of the motor? The catalytic converter gets in the way of everything... The rear motor mount was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get the bolts out of from the block. What the hell is this design?? You can't turn a wrench but MAYBE 1/16-1/8 of a turn - if you're lucky - and the only thing you have room for is a box end wrench.
This design has been one of the biggest, most frustrating mouse trap designs I've ever seen. Does anyone else agree? I'm guessing the next 2000-2005(?) Taurus with a bad motor for a steal will be a PASS for me.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Stick to Duratecs, no easier to work on, but the extra 55HP makes it worth it...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yepper! I bet the air turns blue with swearing and screams even at a Stealership service shop. I wonder if Ford engineers wear bullet proof vests?? Oh well, I think all V6 FWD vehicles have their fair share of idiotic, absurd servicing issues ie "cannot even see those bolts" or "$800 to replace a $5 gasket?" My guess is that it's all about production costs and the philosophy that the original buyer of the brand new vehicle will sell or trade it long before confronting outrageous design issues. Being a good DIY person (not me) saves a fortune. Also the depreciation of any particular model somewhat relects the actual PITA which that model can be. I love working on cars, but it is getting to the point where you need to question every aspect of car ownership and gas prices etc. Where maintenance, payments, insurance, repairs---high blood pressure, swearing and incarceration into the "Hate my car" hospital will blow you off the local list of sane people! You can always buy a Bazooka and send a nice high explosive shell into your car---that will expose those wretched hidden bolts and rear spark plugs for sure.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
^+1 Why do you think I'm a die-hard G3 lover?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Those things bite them in the arse already... When a car is so hard to work on, the resell value drops like a rock and even the first buyers notice that when they want to trade-in theyr car. So Ford will loose those return custumers and will slowly loose market share... Wait, that happned already?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive always thought the Taurus was a super bargain - 26-28mpg midsize car that I always find at $500-900. My last score was a 1999 Mercury sable wagon that I scored for $500 cash. 105,000 miles, Perfect condition - the heater was out and I bought in the dead of winter. The heater core had clogged with that chalky white oxidation. Still have that car. I got this 2000 thinking I stole it but haven't stopped cussing since. I reach down into my 99 and can reach everything on the rear bank- motor mounts etc etc... This 2000 Taurus, while beautiful- has left me wondering how the flat rate techs feel about it at dealerships. I bet they ARE looking to snipe Ford engineers. The Vulcan is a simple, basic transportation motor - why muck up the simplistic with the incomprehensible engine bay catalytic converter, "engine roll" shock tower mount and the most befuddling of them all, THE REAR MOTOR MOUNT has webbing that makes it impossible to get a wrench on. I am going on two months of working on this car (nights/weekends), when normally I can do a motor swap in three days or so. I wish there were more warning bells out there for others considering a "quick" fix/flip... Therefore this post! Even that stupid exhaust manifold to catalytic converter flange gasket- I've ordered TWICE at my local dealership. I ended up MAKING one out of paint can lids, tin snips and copper spray gaskets- I need to post the pictures as a last resort. Sorry I'm venting my frustration w this vehicle on this board.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've been working in automotive service for a few months now and in general Fords, across all product lines, are the worst Amercian manufacturer for any type of maintenance. It's clear that Ford just doesn't give a flying bleep about its owners once the car is off the lot. Even oil changes are difficult on most of their models. Chrysler is a close second with some truly idiotic designs, like batteries-in-fenders with 6-piece cables. The top Japanese brands like Honda and Toyota (shocking!) design their vehicles with ease of service in mind.

The absolute worst are German and Swedish cars, though. Europeans seem to think good engineering = unnecessary complexity.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Nothing is mfg with service in mind other than some access for maintainance.
Remember the engineers mindset. "My design will not fail"
I'm a appliance serv. tech and I'm going through the changes that auto went through in the late '80's, computer control with minimal diagnostics plus part revisions that are going into rev. 10 -11 plus.
No more dressing sharp stamped edges, you can see some parts but can't touch them without major disassembly, etc. .
It's all driven by build cost, that's where the dropping subframes for access comes from. We have gotten spoiled today since the sixties when I started wrenching when alternators, starters and exaust never made 100k miles without failing not to mention yearly points and plugs.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Go look at new models of any brand. See if you can find the air cleaner and/or stick a flat palm down any side of the engine.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I like your attitude, JW!
Toolsets are to men what shoe closets are to women:

"How much did that cost?"
"About $500, but this one cost twice that!"

Neah, just a bigger hammer. :D

Sometimes I really feel like that...
Or possibly a bigger collection of hammers! B)

In all seriousness, from reading the ops first post, perhaps a set of ratcheting box end wrenches might help? :p

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Those things bite them in the arse already... When a car is so hard to work on, the resell value drops like a rock and even the first buyers notice that when they want to trade-in theyr car. So Ford will loose those return custumers and will slowly loose market share... Wait, that happned already?
I owned 3 Fords and 1 Mercury. Now I own a Hyundai, after owning a Gen 4.5 Taurus, the car Ford really messed up on, starting in '96. After hearing about some transmission woes in the Fiesta, it was Honda, Toyota, or Hyundai for my next car. It's nice to change my own oil, and not have oil running down the starter, or getting burned by the cat next to the oil filter. Had only 1 problem with the Hyundai: at 10k, a defective a/c compressor, not a common problem with that car, unlike the water leaks, end links, sagging springs, master cylinders, transmissions, etc with the Taurus. If Ford can prove itself in the next 5 years or so, maybe I'll consider owning one again.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My wife's car is a 2000 Hundai Sonata - one of the last ones that they make with V6 DOHC. Nice, smaller engine (2.5L) that my Duratec but soo much more room around it! At 100k purrs nicely and transmission shifts smooth. Less power of course.
I absolutelly hate the seats, the paint, plastic trims... The only thing that constant needed attention where various sensors that failed way more often than on Ford (including an airbag oned that required replacement of the passanger seat in warranty). Weak/failing connectors (MAF). And OEM spark plugs. The newer Sonatas don't have that engine anymore... so everybody goes el cheapo this days.
I don't know what my next car will be, I know that I just love to keep my 96 Sable and 01 Explorer (last year with "classic" 302/5.0L V8) "alive" :D

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
More tools, LOL I'm up to 2 three section high roll-aways plus one base now. And that's just my at home tools. Heheheheh

Jut changed out my a/c clutch in the Sable yesterday, thanks to the prev. write ups it went well without dropping the sub-frame. Tools and mirror made it happen.
At 188k on a auto temp car it was just plain worn out, was down to zero shims and slipping. This group even helps an experienced wrench by confirming it can be done other ways besides the manual's way.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I owned 3 Fords and 1 Mercury. Now I own a Hyundai, after owning a Gen 4.5 Taurus, the car Ford really messed up on, starting in '96. After hearing about some transmission woes in the Fiesta, it was Honda, Toyota, or Hyundai for my next car. It's nice to change my own oil, and not have oil running down the starter, or getting burned by the cat next to the oil filter. Had only 1 problem with the Hyundai: at 10k, a defective a/c compressor, not a common problem with that car, unlike the water leaks, end links, sagging springs, master cylinders, transmissions, etc with the Taurus. If Ford can prove itself in the next 5 years or so, maybe I'll consider owning one again.
Heh. "The Taurus sucked and broke all the time, My new Hyundai just burned up an A/C compressor, but that doesn't matter!"

I personally wouldn't put Hyundai in the same camp as Honda, or Toyota :lol2: They have a history comparable, or possibly worse than domestics. Hyundai (the car maker) hasn't been known for making a quality product. But that's alright, we'll just remember Ford's past woes and forgot Hyundai's ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts