Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everybody, find this forum several days ago while try to figure out what wrong with my Taurus, and read many helpful messages here. My 98 Taurus is solid like a rock, So I bought a 2000 Se in 2001 when it had 27K on the clock, now it reaches 45K, but it gives me a lot of trouble, I take it to dealer ~ 20 times for fix different problems, I pasted the problem and solution here and hope it will help others:

1) Noise from steer; replace some plastic parts
2) Cup wear on tires, dealer replaced four tires for free.
3) Check engine light. Replace O2 sensor three time, and it will come back after each replacement after ~2 weeks, it was the head gasket failure, and some coolant leak inside engine and killed O2 sensors. Replaced head gasket.
4) Oil leak from the front of engine; intake gasket failure, gasket replaced
5) Oil leak from oil filter (take car to dealer two times); when the dealer guy change oil, he tighten the filter with hand, it is not tight enough.
6) A/C does not work: pin hole leak on one of the hose in A/C system
7) Gas Gauge reading full while tank was empty or any no-sense number whenever it wanted to. Took car to dealer 3 times and found out there was an open circuit.
8) Engine ping /knock, never find a solution.

More problems looking for solutions,
1) A/C compressor is leaking now, dealer estimated the fix cost will be ~$1000, when recharged, it works fine, except it threw grease and oil on the fabric isolation materials under the hood, dealer told me one charge can last a summer, I do not want to put my money in this sinker anymore, and just recharge the A/C at the beginning of each summer, what do you think, any suggestion will be appreciated.
2) When hit a bump or drive on rough road, some sound come out from the wheel parts, it sound like “Si, Si”, when window is down, can not here it.
3) Knock/ping while accelerating.
4) When I try to figure out the sound under the car, I saw that the muffler and the exhaust pipe is hanged instead of mounted on the bottom of car, in the middle of the car, there is a place it seems the exhaust pipe used and should be mounted on the bottom of the car, the maintains manual also shows so, but there is nothing on my car at that place, is something missing on my car?

I have very little knowledge about cars, any feed back will be appreciated

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
First of all, Welcome to the TCCA!

Second, I'm sorry you've having such trouble with yours. Maybe the previous owner just didn't take care of it? I have a 2000 SE Comfort (24v Duratec engine). Although I've had some minor problems through my ownership (now at ~47K miles - Original Owner), I've never had any major problems (Knock on wood).

I've had >

Fuel pump die twice ... once cause I ran over a rock backing up.

Brake pedal switch fail... Ya can't take it out of park without that and Cruise Control doesn't work. At least it was a warrenty item.

Front Brake Rotors warped at 25K. Dealer says it's a wear item, so no warrenty fix. Because the brake pads were fine though, they didn't replace them under my service agrement. Instead I put on my own aftermarket rotors. Now almost the same milage and no warpage.

My fuel guage gets stuck below 1/4 tank (won't read lower). I've just replaced the fuel level sensor in the tank, so it's not that. I'm guessing it has to do with the guage itself, or something similar to your problem.

I think I also had coil packs replaced one or twice. These were also around 26 - 30K miles and under warranty and I haven't had a problem with them since (knock on wood).

The internal engine however seems to still be going strong. No gasket failures of any kind. No O2 Sensor problems. No leaks of any kind that I can tell.

As for your particular situation. Did you buy from a dealership? Does anyone know if some kind of lemon law applies?

It almost sounds to me like there is a larger problem with your engine which may be causing the pinging and also may be contributing to the gasket failures. Does the engine tend to run hot or anything?

-Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought this car from dealer, it was a program car; As I know, the lemon law is only applied to new car, not used car;
no, the engine does not run hot, the gas highway gas milage is ~27 to 30 m/g. when use 90 octane gas, the ping/knock problem is improved but not completly gone.

Thanks for reply

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
It sounds like the car is advancing the timing too much. The knock sensors should force the car to retard the timing in response, but this doesn't seem to be happening.

Does anyone know how to test MAF and IAT sensors? Maybe the sensors are malfunctioning and the engine is compensating for something that isn't there.

It seems like either it's timing is advanced too much or the car is running too lean (hence the good gas milage). You might try a tank of 93 octane and see if the problem gets even better. Does anyone know if maybe a broken timing chain could be to blame, or would the engine just run like crap then?

-Dan

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Jul 6 2004, 03:53 PM
It sounds like the car is advancing the timing too much. The knock sensors should force the car to retard the timing
Dan, I don't think the vulcan (dinosaur motor) have Knock sensors just a plug you can pull to retard the timing.

SE2000JOHN, Letting your A/C go completely flat on refrigerant and letting it stay that way over the hole winter will alow so much moisture and contamenets in the system that it could cause permanent and costly damage to the system.

I agree with what Dan said below

It almost sounds to me like there is a larger problem with your engine which may be causing the pinging and also may be contributing to the gasket failures. Does the engine tend to run hot or anything?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I didn't catch that it was a Vulcan engine. Those should be a dime a dozen. Just get a new one ;) :lol: Just Kidding. The Great Bob might have some insight for you. Maybe some kind of valve problem? I know he had a stuck of damage valve in his Vulcan before and it gave him all kinds of heartache.

Maybe try cleaning your MAF and IAT sensors. I think I read somewhere you can use windex? You might also try shooting a PM to Alberto of American Motorsports. He hangs out in the EEC turning forum under the Performance forum. He's not nessesarily an engine expert, but he does know the ins and outs of the PCM and might know if there is a computer related thing that could be causing the problem.

Also keep an eye on this thread. He has the same engine you do, only 11 years older.

89 Taurus 3.0 Pinging / Knocking

-Dan

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
A Vulcan with engine problems?! :eek: :huh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts