Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this wonderful forum and found plenty of info regarding replacing the balljoints on a taurus.

My question is just to make sure I am doing the right one. My front passenger side tire is wearing a lot in the inside....So...by my calculations I should change the passenger side balljoint?

The only reason I'm asking is because I had a not so good experience changing a wheel bearing on the wrong side...

THanks in advance.

PS....can a bad ball joint cause shaking/wobbleing in the front end?

·
Registered
12 Posts
You would be correct with that assumption, but just too make sure jack the car up safely, or just get on the ground and visually inspect the balljoint. Chances are if the little boot is all but gone, itll need replacing. You might as well check the other side while youre at it. If the ball joint is in bad enough condition, it can lead to the type of tire wear you are describing, which is also called negative camber.(when the top of the tire is leaning more towards the inside)

I recently replaced both lower balljoints on my '02. They werent as severe as yours that i had noticable tire wear, but i could feel the "looseness" in the front end when going over speed bumps or with any irregularities in the road. After you replace them, i would recommend taking youre car to a shop to have youre alignment checked out as well. Just take youre time, a helper would come in handy, and make sure you got a BFH, lol!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got it done and it was alot easier that I thought. The only thing i needed was a jack that could go a little higher, and a pair of snap ring pliers.

Here is how I did it.

1. Removed Tire/Wheel
2. Remove old nut from old ball joint.
3. Removed Axel nut.
4. Pulled brake/hub assembly away and disconnected CV shaft.
5. Pressed out old balljoint.
6. Lubed up and pressed in new balljoint using tools rented from Autozone.
7. Pried control arm down with a pipe and slipped balljoint stud through hole in control arm.
8. Replaced CV shaft.
9. Tightened axel nut and balljoint nut.
10. Replaced Tire.

I plan on doing the other one next weekend. And I plan on taking pics of the process.

Thanks
BB

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm glad it went so well for you! I've got one on my to-do list right now so hopefully it will go as smoothly as it did for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The biggest advice i can give from my experience is to get the tools from Autozone. These include":
1. Pickle bar (ball joint separator)
2. Press Kit - Contains the C-clamp shaped pressing device along with some adapters and reciever tubes.
3. You also need the Taurus adapter kit for the pressing kit.
4. 30mm deep socket for removing axel nut.

And have snap ring pliers...I had the most difficulties trying to spread that sucker...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts