Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is surging when idling. Can hear the hissing from the area of throttle body, EGR and PCV tube connection, but not sure which is the bad one.Alao found that the PCV tube is very hot when idling. Is this normal?

·
Banned
323 Posts
Hissing would indicate a vacuum leak...have you checked the vacuum lines?

Anything that attaches directly to the engine would get hot......

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
since your car is 11 years old now, I would suggest Upper and lower intake manafold gaskets, PCV valve and hose, and have various lenghts and sizes of hose available to replace all vacuum lines.

Trust me, I spent 6 months slowly replacing everything listed above. Spend a Saturday and get it done all at 1 time. Insted of at 2 hr intervals.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
since your car is 11 years old now, I would suggest Upper and lower intake manafold gaskets, PCV valve and hose, and have various lenghts and sizes of hose available to replace all vacuum lines.

Trust me, I spent 6 months slowly replacing everything listed above. Spend a Saturday and get it done all at 1 time. Insted of at 2 hr intervals.
thank you guys. I will start from the TB gasket and PCV hose.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
^ If you start the car cold and just let it idle, the tube from the egr valve to intake manifold should remain cold except for a little transferred eng. heat during warm-up due to the fact that there should be no egr flow to the intake during idle or wot (wide open throttle). If that tube gets exhaust-like hot, the egr valve is not closing properly and engine should be idling rough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ If you start the car cold and just let it idle, the tube from the egr valve to intake manifold should remain cold except for a little transferred eng. heat during warm-up due to the fact that there should be no egr flow to the intake during idle or wot (wide open throttle). If that tube gets exhaust-like hot, the egr valve is not closing properly and engine should be idling rough.
The EGR tube feels cold at idling, and hot after driving. I'm thinking if the EGR gaskets got damaged, and lead to vacuum leak.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The EGR tube feels cold at idling, and hot after driving. I'm thinking if the EGR gaskets got damaged, and lead to vacuum leak.
it's PCV hose. The hissing turned up and down when swaying the hose. Just removed throttle body(with spring and air intake on) and air filter to access the hose. 7/8” deep socket (12-point) and a 12” extension bar were very helpful to remove and install PCV valve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts