Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
My 2000 Taurus won't charge after start up unless I quickly blip the throttle and it rev's up to around 2500, if I shut it of and start it up right away same thing. I recently had the serpintine belt replaced and took it back to garage and they said belt is ok. Any ideas why a quick rev will make alternator charge? It's not an intermmittent problem it does this consistently. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Sounds like the brushes are worn out or they are hanging up. Time for a new one.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Why not get new brushes and change them? You can do this without even removing the alternator completely. Any descent alternator shop will have the Ford 3G brushes. They are the same on ALL 3G Ford Alternators. My shop charged me like 7 bucks if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm cheep so changing the brushes sounds like it's right up my alley. How do you get at these brushes? Do you take off the 3 hex bolts? Is there a web site that tells how to do it?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
It's usually a regulator/brush pack. It should have a heat sink on it. Take that out and the brushes come with it.

This site should have every single piece and drawings for alternators and such.

http://www.wai-wetherill.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts