Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought a 2000 Ford Taurus the guy who sold it to me told me the alternator was bad and when I drove it home the battery light came on and it died... So I went to the junkyard and got an alternator and put it in plus got a brand new battery but now the battery light doesn't come on when it's about to die it just dies.... What could it be and what should I do to get my car back on the road please help

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
335 Posts
If you have a volt meter, check battery power with engine not running, it should be 12.1 or higher, start engine and check it again, it should be 13.5 or higher. If it is low, there is the problem.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Just because the alternator fits doesn't mean it is the right alternator. There was a change in alternators starting in 2002 which means you need a 2001 and older alternator for it to work. 2001 and older self controls voltage while newer ones use the car's computer to regulate and turn the light on. The plug looks the same but is not the same wiring, Also check the Mega Fuse in the engine compartment fuse block to make sure the previous owner didn't damage it. It is right where the yellow wire enters the fuse block.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a volt meter, check battery power with engine not running, it should be 12.1 or higher, start engine and check it again, it should be 13.5 or higher. If it is low, there is the problem.
I already checked and it doesn't read right it's @ 12 or lower but when the alternator starts working it goes up

·
Registered
552 Posts
I suspect you either have the wrong alternator, you have bad grounds, or you have a parasitic drain somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts