Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking at replacing my totaled 04 Sable. I know on the 00-03 models they had the analog gauges only, and my 04 has the digital screen that tells mpg, miles to empty, etc. Is there any way of getting a MPG and miles to empty reading on a 2003? I found an 03 I like but I'm going to miss knowing exactly how much farther I can go before I have to stop for gas and I also like to know my exact mpg.

Any way of doing this? :unsure:

I found something called "Scangauge", anyone used this? Or, for the sake of saving money, is it possible to swipe the screen from an 04 and use it for the same purpose?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've been looking at replacing my totaled 04 Sable. I know on the 00-03 models they had the analog gauges only, and my 04 has the digital screen that tells mpg, miles to empty, etc. Is there any way of getting a MPG and miles to empty reading on a 2003? I found an 03 I like but I'm going to miss knowing exactly how much farther I can go before I have to stop for gas and I also like to know my exact mpg.

Any way of doing this? :unsure:

I found something called "Scangauge", anyone used this? Or, for the sake of saving money, is it possible to swipe the screen from an 04 and use it for the same purpose?
I currently use the scangauge and it will do everything you want and more. Highly recommend it !

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I currently use the scangauge and it will do everything you want and more. Highly recommend it !
That's what I'm considering going with. Do you know if it will show miles to empty as well?

Is there a difference between the first version and Scangauge 2? One version is about $50 cheaper.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did some more research on it and it looks like I can get mte and mpg on both versions.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
There is a gauge labeled "FUEL" in the instrument panel. As the needle on this gauge gets closer to "E" you have fewer miles to empty. When the needle points to "E", it is time to look for a gas station.

At least that's what we did before all these sophistimacated doowhackeys started to appear in cars.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There is a gauge labeled "FUEL" in the instrument panel. As the needle on this gauge gets closer to "E" you have fewer miles to empty. When the needle points to "E", it is time to look for a gas station.

At least that's what we did before all these sophistimacated doowhackeys started to appear in cars.
Yeah, but at the same time you don't know if you should stop at this gas station or if you have enough gas left to get out of the ghetto to a gas station in a decent area. Its not that I'm too lazy to just use the analog gauge, I just like knowing how far I can go with the gas I have. With an analog gauge I don't know if I can go 5 miles or 15 miles when the gauge gets very low. Makes a difference to me at least.

It's also nice to know my mpg.

00greenlx, I did look at the Ultragauge but the only downside is that you can't mount it flush up against a panel in the car since its control buttons are on the back. Of course I could use velcro and just take it off when I need to change something. That might be an option.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The OP's question wasn't answered. Is it possible to retrofit an earlier model with the little digital gauges?? I was wondering the same thing. I recently got to drive an 06 for a week and really liked the gages and the trip meter. But I too am looking at the scangage as an easier alternative to tearing the dash apart. If I had a donor vehicle as a reference it might be doable.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
[Sorry can't answer the question just putting in my two cents]

I know if that fuel light comes on I have roughly 3 gallons of gas left. I try not running that low though. Best bet is to always hit the trip reset, that's what I do. When I start getting close to 280 miles on a tank I fill up. I used to go 320 miles before the light came on but now its around 280-290. Still not sure why.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Alright, fine, I'm a lazy, technology-dependent punk/whippersnapper :lol2:. I guess that's Scangauge's target market?

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'll probably go with Scangauge, although the Ultragauge is a good option as well. Of course the other option is to just go with a pencil and notepad; I can't use a calculator though because those are also evil, like the Scangauge apparently is :rolleyes2:.

01TaurusFan, I thought about running out to pull-a-part and messing around and seeing what I come up with. I don't know how the trip meter hooks up though, also don't know if switching would mess up your vehicle's mileage. That's not a big deal, but if you go to resale the car it could raise a red flag to a buyer. These aftermarket gauges offer a lot more than just mpg as well; all kinds of diagnostics and other cool things.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Sadly I am really old school but I am very intrigued with this "UltraGauge". It seems like a toy that I want but is it too good to be true? Anyone have one of these things and does it work out okay?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
They work great, I will be ordering mine soon!

To the O.P. - Short answer NO you cannot upgrade the gauges from 00-03 to 04-07 because in 04 the system went to a CAN-BUS system which the 00-03 is not.

Long answer - Yes! go find a 04 and up taurus and remove ALL wiring, ECU, BCM and any component that the connector changed on to go with it. If you had a wrecked donor car it would be possible. Worth it ? not really, an ultra gauge or a scan gauge can do the same for as little as 70 bucks.

Though, you would earn a lot of respect from me if you did it cause it won't be easy! :D

Troy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

To the O.P. - Short answer NO you cannot upgrade the gauges from 00-03 to 04-07 because in 04 the system went to a CAN-BUS system which the 00-03 is not.

Long answer - Yes! go find a 04 and up taurus and remove ALL wiring, ECU, BCM and any component that the connector changed on to go with it. If you had a wrecked donor car it would be possible. Worth it ? not really, an ultra gauge or a scan gauge can do the same for as little as 70 bucks.

Though, you would earn a lot of respect from me if you did it cause it won't be easy! :D

Troy.
Nothing is ever as easy as it seems, isn't it? I think I'll leave that job for another person! :D

From doing research, I actually like the Ultragauge better because its easier to read at night. Each individual character is backlit rather than the whole screen, and it's cheaper.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nothing is ever as easy as it seems, isn't it? I think I'll leave that job for another person! :D

From doing research, I actually like the Ultragauge better because its easier to read at night. Each individual character is backlit rather than the whole screen, and it's cheaper.
I have had no problem reading the scan gauge at night.
Both background color and font character color are user selectable. Also, color intensity is also user selectable.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Troy.
I guess this answers my question. Thanks! Your right about the different bus systems. I had forgot about that. I guess I will just have to go with the Scangage or buy and 04+ Taurus

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Okay, I just bought the Ultra Gauge. I really do like it, it's got way more than I thought it would. I hooked it to my F-150 and was surprised at the MPG's [If that's bout right].

It's on my Taurus now, but I haven't got a chance to drive it yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts