Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

My Dad gave his ‘05 Taurus to my nephew who is 16. The other day it completely shut down on him on the interstate. Needless to say, it scared the hell out of him. He was able to start the car after a little while and drive it home.

I hooked up a scanner to it and there where no codes. I am thinking it is the fuel filter or fuel pump based on there being no codes.

Any one have any thoughts or experience with this? Any thoughts on how to check the fuel pump?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
Hi All -

My Dad gave his ‘05 Taurus to my nephew who is 16. The other day it completely shut down on him on the interstate. Needless to say, it scared the hell out of him. He was able to start the car after a little while and drive it home.

I hooked up a scanner to it and there where no codes. I am thinking it is the fuel filter or fuel pump based on there being no codes.

Any one have any thoughts or experience with this? Any thoughts on how to check the fuel pump?

Thanks for any help!
Fuel pump rare to be shutdown. If the pump fails, it leaves a code. When checking codes, be sure to check for "pending" codes.
Fuel pumps usually just fail to start up.
-chart-

·
Registered
291 Posts
Could be a fuel pump. Maybe check to ensure that fuel pressure is within specs
Heat-induced electrical problem? Cracks in coil pack (check underside of coil pack)
Weird behavior can be caused by bad grounds (firewall & left front fender), check battery cables, connections, cleanliness, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
736 Posts
The only time I had an immediate shutdown while driving was a broken wire (electrical issue) going to the coil. If his started back up after cooling down a bit, I would be thinking over heated (bad) coil.

·
Super Moderator
8,866 Posts
Nezt time it refuses to start, have a helper crank the engine while you wack the bottom of the gas tank good with a big rubber mallet. If engine starts while tank is getting wacked, pump is bad.

Rare as far as I know, but many years ago I had a failing inertia switch (would go open intermittantly) causing occasional failure of the pump to run.

Reactions: stoshzack

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
No, it was an older vehicle without OBDII. It just shut down doing 75 MPH, not fun on a busy highway.
Son in-law had OBDI Chrysler product V-6. It would just quit on his way to work. He would pull off the road, crank it up and drive on to work. He had the "book" and found in it, that, if it does not get a crank pos signal, it cannot set a code. I got a sensor from the JY, put it in and no more issues. That engine, had three square holes in the flex plate, the sensor sees those holes for trigger.
Makes sense, if there is no cps signal, the PCM does not know the engine is running.
-chart-

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
736 Posts
Son in-law had OBDI Chrysler product V-6. It would just quit on his way to work. He would pull off the road, crank it up and drive on to work. He had the "book" and found in it, that, if it does not get a crank pos signal, it cannot set a code. I got a sensor from the JY, put it in and no more issues. That engine, had three square holes in the flex plate, the sensor sees those holes for trigger.
Makes sense, if there is no cps signal, the PCM does not know the engine is running.
-chart-
I found the primary ignition wire broke at the distributor, no power, no run. Simple fix when you find it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All -

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi YES! Had exact same problem with my Taurus. No codes and took ages to figure it out. First time failed to start - just turned over. Shop changed the fuel pump. A while later it’s rapidly decelerated on interstate pulled off and stopped. Wouldn’t restart. Another pump change (warranty) - during that the shop found damaged inside the loom’s connector. Replaced connector - (kept new pump) - that was 40k miles ago!

Before all this I checked and changed the pump relay - cheap and easy to access. A lot of threads suggest trying that first. It’s bolted to body under trim just behind right hand back passenger seat (lower seat). Very easy to access. With hindsight the intermittent nature should have pointed means shop to the pump loom connector.

Good luck! PS - I understand his confidence is hit - but the Bull is a great first car - big, luxury, and safer than most. It’s well worth working this through with him!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all. I decided, based on all the comments, I will start with cleaning up connections around the batter, replacing the coil pack, and replacing the fuel relay. Will report back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts