How I Repaired An Ax4n Tranny - Page 8 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 06:33 PM

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1959 View Post
All '04's had the AX4N (renamed the 4F50N in '01) to further satisfy yourself look at the door jamb data plate and you will see an X under the letters TR.
There are many threads here on adding a cooler
Adding a cooler sounds like a good idea, the power steering has a factory cooler on the 96 Taurus I am debugging, but not the transmission.

We are replacing the EPS solenoid with a new OEM part tomorrow, after weeks of tests on and off road, and pressure gauge tests per the ATSG service manual that all suggest that the EPC solenoid is bad, Getting 0 prressure one minute (acts like it is neutral when in any gear) then massive pressure over 200 psi when it decides to go into gear. We flushed it many times (the fluid looked like backed molasses) and it slowly tried to work again, even made a week of heavy driving with zero issues, then in high way stop and go traffic it stopped again. It seems to want to work cold and not when hot.

We will inspect the valve body while the cover is off. I an 100% sure the other solenoids and sensors are not the problem. Down to the EPC, or valve body. I seriously doubt it is pump or pump shaft as it has power like a beast when it goes into gear and ran for an entire week of heavy DD use after the first 3 times it went into the only neutral mode.
Thanks to those who came before for leaving clues on how to get at the valve body with out tearing the entire vehicle apart. We did it with out touching the steering or suspension at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:11 AM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2004
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I ended up putting a cooler from an Escape in this car. So far, so good.
What I did was find a taurus at the pick and pull that had an external cooler. I then took the top hose coming out of the radiator tank cooler from it as it curled around to the front of the car and down to the bottom to the cooler that ran parallel with the power steering cooler. The escape cooler is much bigger than the tiny little one on the donor car, and also not destroyed from impact.
As you can imagine there was some modifications needed to make it fit, but nothing big at all. I had to mount the cooler to the power steering pipe and run my return hose back to the trans across the radiator as the inlet and outlet of this cooler were on the same side. I think it is helping, shifts good and haven't had any issues so far. No leaks or codes. I am getting this car very late in the game, so I don't know how it was treated before.

2004 Taurus SE. Yep it was free.
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:36 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 Freebee View Post
I ended up putting a cooler from an Escape in this car. So far, so good.
What I did was find a taurus at the pick and pull that had an external cooler. I then took the top hose coming out of the radiator tank cooler from it as it curled around to the front of the car and down to the bottom to the cooler that ran parallel with the power steering cooler. The escape cooler is much bigger than the tiny little one on the donor car, and also not destroyed from impact.
As you can imagine there was some modifications needed to make it fit, but nothing big at all. I had to mount the cooler to the power steering pipe and run my return hose back to the trans across the radiator as the inlet and outlet of this cooler were on the same side. I think it is helping, shifts good and haven't had any issues so far. No leaks or codes. I am getting this car very late in the game, so I don't know how it was treated before.
Interesting, I might have to look into doing that. Did your 2004 have a trans cooler from the factory? Just smaller? Or did it pass through the radiator?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 11:59 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
My Explorer has an auxiliary cooler. In stop and go traffic that cooler does nothing (or just very little), since it is not really in the main fan air stream.
On highway driving, the transmission temperatures on both Explorer and Sable are very low. Only while in stop and go traffic, summer time (90+ temps), the transmission gets hotter.

The auxiliary tube on Taurus/Sable is in the air stream, so moving the cooler somewhere else can even make things worse.
ShelbyRacer78 likes this.

"Those with limited knowledge in a domain suffer from a dual burden: Not only do they reach mistaken conclusions and make regrettable errors, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SoNic67; 07-22-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page