Vss Location - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:29 PM

Trader Score: 0 reviews
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 15 2007, 11:07 PM)
Quote:
The link in the quote refers to this topic.

QUOTE (autostick @ Jun 14 2007, 06:29 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 13 2007, 11:30 PM)
Quote:
You have an AX4S. This might help:
https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...showtopic=6027[/b]
Thanks so much, it is an AX4S. Saying that link might help was quite an understatement. It made it into a 10 minute part swap, instead of an all day hunt for the VSS. The Haynes manual is wrong as it says to jack up the car and pull it from underneath. For anyone else doing this it is an easy job through the hood:

1- reach in with the left hand while standing at the right fender. Feel for the VSS just below the #2 cylinder. It is on TOP of the transmission. You may need to pull back a heat shield.
2- Pull of the electrical connector. Remove the 10mm bolt with a box / open end combo wrench.
3- The VSS pulls straight out toward the driver's side.
4- The new VSS pushes straight in toward the passenger side. Bolt it. Plug it. Drive it.
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Hello. We found the VSS, moved the heat sheild but the old VSS partially came out , broke...any tips on how we can get the rest out? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 10:26 AM

QUOTE (ruger @ Oct 18 2009, 10:41 AM)
Quote:
hello were is the vss on a 2003 taurus? do i have to pull the crankshaft pully to get to it.[/b]
ax4n
post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

QUOTE (ruger @ Oct 18 2009, 07:26 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (ruger @ Oct 18 2009, 10:41 AM)
Quote:
hello were is the vss on a 2003 taurus? do i have to pull the crankshaft pully to get to it.[/b]
ax4n
[/b][/quote]

Did you read this topic or even look at the pictures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] - [
]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.

post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1999
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

here is a photo of the vss on my 99 taurus wagon

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0025.jpg (119.8 KB, 4213 views)
post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1996
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

The picture posted by Quertz shows the VSS location on the AX4N tranny. You can see the one bolt that holds it down. My experience in changing it involved a combination of tips I read on this board. My biggest challenge was getting it out of the tranny after the connector and bolt were removed. This is a tough repair because of the tight access and difficulty seeing what you are doing. The shop manual tells you to drop the y pipes. There are several ways to approach this. This is what i did on the AX4N with a DOHC.

1. Remove the cowl and electrical connector on the fire wall to gain better access from the top.
2. From the top slide the rectangular heat shield up as high as you can with out damaging it.
3. From the top remove the connector. I have an electrical connector clip tool which helps make this a bit easier. A small flat blade screw driver can also help. It is retained by clips on opposite sides. Once it is removed stuff it up out of the way along with the heat shield.

4. Jack up the front passenger side and remove the wheel and wheel well shield.

5 From the wheel well, use a 6 pt. M10 deep socket and 3" extension to remove the one bolt holding it down. Feel around the motor mount and remove the one bolt. I would recommend a 1/4" drive or stubby 3/8" drive ratchet. This is done all by feel. It could be done from the top with similar tools. i.e. various extensions with a wobble or u-joint.. You don't need a deep socket but with the tools I had this was best for me.

6. The VSS was in very tight and I could not get a good enough grip on it to twist it or pull up on it.

7. Alternating from both underneath the car and from the wheel well I used a long flat blade screw driver and a hammer and tapped it back and forth at its base. I did this until It moved enough so that I could pry under the exposed shoulder. This took some time, patience and finesse. I have to give some credit to the penetrating oil. Once it was loosened I was able to reach down from the top and remove it. At one point I considered removing the O2 sensor so I could get my hand in there better from the bottom but it proved to be unnecessary.

8. Installation is the reverse order. I placed a fine film of tranny fluid on the o-ring to help with the assembly.

Having one (or two) good drop lights are important so you can see. Even though most of what you do is by feel. Having small hands also helps.
post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:49 PM

QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jan 10 2008, 08:06 PM)
Quote:
Yes the V8 SHO has no VSS. It is all ABS.[/b]

Bummer..lol..no wonder I can't find the dam VSS on the trans. Y pipe off and everything!!!!!!!!!!!!
Car isn't wanting to shift out of 1st gear..Any ideas? The ABS light had been coming on and off now and then. I just put new ball joints, control arm, swaybar links etc on this 97. This is the 1st time it won't shift out of low. Prior to this, you could be driving down the road and it would act like it suddenly popped into neutral. Any ideas? 1997 V-8 SHO, 190K miles. I'm not getting any codes when I scan it.
Thanks
Greg
post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like the ABS computer is fried. Not uncommon for the SHO. Any year SHO ABS computer can be used.

It is a major PITA to change.

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 PM

QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jan 13 2010, 12:00 PM)
Quote:
Sounds like the ABS computer is fried. Not uncommon for the SHO. Any year SHO ABS computer can be used.

It is a major PITA to change.[/b]
Thanks Paul..I don't think there are too many parts that aren't a big PIA to change on these. The power steering hose from the pump to the R&P unit was leaking up at the pump so I switched that out while the Y pipe was off.
Where is the ABS brain?
Greg
post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 4 reviews
It's under the battery. The solenoid pack has the brake lines attached to it and the brain is on the front. It is attached with 5 torx screws. 4 small ones and on large on in the middle. I could not get the large one loose and broke off one of the small ones.

It is easiest to just change the whole thing. It's held to the frame from below with three 10mm bolts IIRC. Take the four output lines off. Then take the two input lines off and bend them up so as not to drain the MC.

Once the old is out and the new is in then take the car out on a gravel road and lock up the brakes several times at low speeds to kick in the ABS. Then if the pedal is soft bleed the brakes normally.

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM

QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jan 14 2010, 08:36 AM)
Quote:
It's under the battery. The solenoid pack has the brake lines attached to it and the brain is on the front. It is attached with 5 torx screws. 4 small ones and on large on in the middle. I could not get the large one loose and broke off one of the small ones.

It is easiest to just change the whole thing. It's held to the frame from below with three 10mm bolts IIRC. Take the four output lines off. Then take the two input lines off and bend them up so as not to drain the MC.

Once the old is out and the new is in then take the car out on a gravel road and lock up the brakes several times at low speeds to kick in the ABS. Then if the pedal is soft bleed the brakes normally.[/b]

That's right, I remember seeing it now when I had the battery box out changing the water pump I believe. Is it a dealer item? I'm not finding the part online. What is the correct name for it? Thanks much.
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page