Vss Location - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:50 PM

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 5766
for the ax4n its much simpler. there is no speedo cable but on the passenger side next to the rear exhaust manifold. just look for something with a 2 wire plug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:31 PM

I don't think you reach the VSS easily from the top on a V8 SHO..can you? Because theres like no room anywhere in that engine compartment for anything lol. My SHO has an oil leak but my mencanic says its not worth it because you would have to rip a lot of stuff out too get to it..and its like a drip or 2 a day anyways...anywho, how could I get to VSS on a V* SHO?
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to 5766
lol it was easy on a vulcan

but id say your best bet would probably be to drop the exhaust and work it from underneath. just 1 bolt holding it in, and dont shear it like I did.... its a real pain in the ass

post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

I thought the V8 SHOs got their speed info from the ABS sensor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] - [
]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 4 reviews
Yes the V8 SHO has no VSS. It is all ABS.

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 PM

Well thanks for telling me that...so um what do you guys think my problem is? (see link)

https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry580531

Thanks
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
The link in the quote refers to this topic.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
You have an AX4S. This might help:
https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...showtopic=6027
[/b]
Thanks so much, it is an AX4S. Saying that link might help was quite an understatement. It made it into a 10 minute part swap, instead of an all day hunt for the VSS. The Haynes manual is wrong as it says to jack up the car and pull it from underneath. For anyone else doing this it is an easy job through the hood:

1- reach in with the left hand while standing at the right fender. Feel for the VSS just below the #2 cylinder. It is on TOP of the transmission. You may need to pull back a heat shield.
2- Pull of the electrical connector. Remove the 10mm bolt with a box / open end combo wrench.
3- The VSS pulls straight out toward the driver's side.
4- The new VSS pushes straight in toward the passenger side. Bolt it. Plug it. Drive it.
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

thanks for the info and pics, but for some reason I STILL can't find the VSS on my 99 Sable DOHC. I studied the pics carefully and went all over the area near the passenger side half-shaft on over to below Cylinder #2, but can't feel or see anything on top of the transmission that looks remotely like a VSS.

There is a sensor in a different place, mounted vertically but not on the transmission itself, but that doesn't seem to add up with what I'm reading here.

I'd rate my abilities as at least intermediate, and sadly spend well over 45 minutes looking and feeling for the stupid thing. Is it possible there's some kind of variation on where they put these things? Has anyone else run into this as well?
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
thanks for the info and pics, but for some reason I STILL can't find the VSS on my 99 Sable DOHC. I studied the pics carefully and went all over the area near the passenger side half-shaft on over to below Cylinder #2, but can't feel or see anything on top of the transmission that looks remotely like a VSS.

There is a sensor in a different place, mounted vertically but not on the transmission itself, but that doesn't seem to add up with what I'm reading here.

I'd rate my abilities as at least intermediate, and sadly spend well over 45 minutes looking and feeling for the stupid thing. Is it possible there's some kind of variation on where they put these things? Has anyone else run into this as well?
[/b]
I'd venture to guess it's this thing:

[
] - [
]
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:50 AM

Thank you!

That's what I suspected, but was thrown a bit by the description of it being right under Cylinder #2. This job shouldn't be bad at all.

Thanks again for your help... I like your picture. You wouldn't happen to have more posted around somewhere would you?

-Tommy
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

What picture? The one of the engine? That's just a picture I saved. Someone posted that a long time ago.

[
] - [
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page