3.0 Vulcan A/c Bypass Belt - Page 14 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by faroshuffle View Post
Kicking in to say "THANK YOU" to all! I'm not a mechanic at all. Fix what I can where I can. Like all car problems, they take a dump when you can't afford to fix them. Got into my car and started it up this morning to go to work and white smoke started swirling under the hood. Popped the hood and the serpentine belt broke (the white smoke was the belt rubbing and ultimately breaking from the seized up A/C pully). Haven't had A/C for the last 6 months and I instantly assumed it was the A/C compressor lock up. Went through the typical anger stage. I drive 30 miles to and from work each day and this is my only transportation for now. So, I called in sick for the day. What in the world was I gonna do.....can't afford to replace the A/C. 2001 Ford Taurus SES with a U in the VIN number. Started searching this morning and found this thread. I took a survey of all the different belt sizes posted in this thread and the most common I could see was the Autozone 820K6. Took a stab and hit it on the nose the first time out. $28 plus tax. 20 minutes later, I had re-routed the belt with a diagram found here. Car runs perfectly again. The clearance issue some have described on the A/C pully isn't an issue for me in this case, but I can see where it's crazy close. Lucky I guess. So, I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone and give a final report in case there is another 2001 owner out there experiencing the same thing.

Summary:

2001 Ford Taurus SES (I have a U in my VIN number which helped me identify which motor I had. Apparently, this process won't work on certain engines such as the DOHC)

AutoZone Belt Number 820K6 by Duralast

I take no credit for the belt routing diagram, but it came from the Taurus Club. The pic of the package from the belt, I took right after I completed the job.

It was tight, but, once I took the tension out of the tensioner, I got the belt squeezed on and there's no play anywhere. Ran in the driveway for an hour just to make sure. All is well.

By the way, before I did this, and before it seized up, it was making all kinds of racket and I wasn't absolutely sure what the problem was. Now, she's super quiet and runs normal for now.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One small battle won!

I don't know if anyone else needs it for other years or models, but here's a list of the other belts I had written down if this one hadn't worked:

AUTOZONE - 817K6; 822K6; and 825K6 (At least for my car, the 820K6 was a PERFECT fit) Good luck, hope this helps someone else in need.
Glad these archived posts helped you out! Your Gen3 Vulcan is rather different than my 1990 Gen1; there's no idler pulley up top, and the alternator runs off of a separate belt (I guess the design thought was, to hell with overheating and power steering and A/C - at least the car could be driven off the road if the serp belt took a dump!) My bypass size is not an 820 (82.0") but a 705K5 (70") and I went a half-inch shy because my tensioner was weak.

You oughta see the belt clearance in that engine...about 2mm between the flat side of the belt and the A/C compressor pulley. Good thing the tensioner was weak.

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page