Squealing Accessory/serpentine Belt - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Sometimes if it's just the belt squeaking a little squirt of WD-40 will make it stop. WD-40 is NOT a lubricant and won't make the belt slip. In this case it breaks up the glaze on the belts or pulleys that is causing it to slip a little and squeak. Besides it smells nice.

"Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos." - H J Simpson

Intact is one word. A lot is two words.

1991 Taurus LX Sedan 3.8 Titanium Frost - Taken to the pound/RIP 12/27/2012.
2011 Fusion 2.5 Auto Silver Appearance Package
1969 Cougar XR 7 351W
2014 Focus SE Hatch 2.0 GDI White Sport Package
"I had the right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability" - Ron White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast

Just wanted to add my two cents on this post, since I haven't checked it in so long.

As far as adding stuff to the belt, whether that be 'belt dressing, soap, WD-40', I just don't see the sense in it. If there is a squeal coming from the accessory belt system (serpentine belt system) then some part is going bad. Taking the belt off and checking the different pulleys is always a good idea. You don't have to take the belt off from the lower pulleys to check the big three (Tensioner, Idler, Power Steering).

Again, The Idler and Tensioner will spin freely and slow down quickly if the ball bearing grease is still adequate. If there is too much play (in and out, side to side) in the PS Pulley than that PS is ready to go.

If the back part (flat part) of the belt is glazed, then pay the little $$$ for a new Gatorback (highly recommended by me and several others on TCCA)

Adding things to quite the belt could bite you on that long road trip. But again, that's just my $.02.

Good luck to those that read this in the future!
kekaye56 likes this.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Devoted Member

Yup, I'm gonna go out and buy a new belt every time it makes a little noise.

I'm not saying soak it overnight, just a little shvitz and the noise goes away. Believe me I can tell the difference in sound between a pulley bearing going away and a simple belt squeak.

I have done this for years and have never experienced a belt failure.

Every time there is a post about belt noise and I mention this solution, somebody jumps all over my stuff and tries to say how bad it is. Wel,, from now on, enjoy your noisy belts......

"Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos." - H J Simpson

Intact is one word. A lot is two words.

1991 Taurus LX Sedan 3.8 Titanium Frost - Taken to the pound/RIP 12/27/2012.
2011 Fusion 2.5 Auto Silver Appearance Package
1969 Cougar XR 7 351W
2014 Focus SE Hatch 2.0 GDI White Sport Package
"I had the right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability" - Ron White

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:16 AM

QUOTE (mmahoney @ Jun 7 2009, 02:21 PM)
Quote:
I just changed my original belt out for a shorter one so I could bypass the broken A/C compressor .. 82 inches was perfect size. The right tool helps this job along a lot.[/b]
This sounds great, mmahoney ! Could you please describe the routing of the 82" belt to bypass the AC compressor pulley? I have also a 2001 Vulcan 3.0.
Thanks in advance.

Yuri
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:40 AM

Cheap belt tool set from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=66344
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Steve J. @ Nov 18 2009, 04:40 AM)
Quote:
Cheap belt tool set from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=66344
[/b]
Thanks for the link. However, I asked you for what the routing was, not about what tool is needed. I can rent the same tool from Autozone for free (i.e., money back when I return the tool). The length 82 in. probably involves somewhat unusual routing because the original (with AC compressor) belt is about 85, and if you can bypass the compressor with almost the same length belt, it is rather difficult routing.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:01 PM

QUOTE (sfhess @ Jul 23 2009, 12:31 PM)
Quote:
I'm not saying soak it overnight, just a little shvitz and the noise goes away.[/b]
Shvitz = sweat. You can't be Yiddish, or even Jewish, to kack it up that bad.

You meant "spritz", didn't ya. Yeah, I thought you did

...and I'm not even from anywhere near the northeast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Anyone got a picture or diagram of a serpentine belt routing for a 2000 Duratec DOHC? The owners manual doesn't show one, under the hood has no diagram, the Haynes service manual just shows routing for the Vulcan, and I haven't found one here searching threads, or even just a generic search on Google.

2000 Taurus SEL - 24v DOHC Duratec
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Chapter: Northeast

I am not sure why this isn't posted, but what about checking if the pulleys are aligned properly? I had squeeling and it was due to the alignment of the pulleys. I think soap and wd-40 on belts is somewhat unprofessional, and just cover up the problem, please do not take that as an insult. Also, can't WD-40 damage belt material?
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Chapter: West Coast

I've replaced both pulleys and the belt on my 98 vulcan because it was squealing all the time. It started squealing again on warmup, so I returned the first belt and sprung for the expensive one. All was good until recently when started squealing on warmup again. Yesterday, I went outside with some wd40 and sprayed it inside the hole on the tensioner, then pulled back on the tensioner and sprayed again because I thought maybe something was sticking inside. Well, as of now there is no squeal... Let's see how long this lasts! Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page