Gen 4 - Duratec Oil Pan Gasket Replacement - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
My thoughts on this:
#1- VERY important-- Elbows and jackstands don't mix (it's purple and hurts like hell)
#2- I found it easier to remove the passenger tire to gain better access to the trans bracket in there.
#3- Paint that nasty looking trans bracket (I used truck bedliner)
#4- Don't try to attach the trans bracket until AFTER you torque down the pan bolts (oops- lol)
#5- Gasoline in a cup or bottle cleans off greasy bolts very well (stir or shake it)
#5- Don't forget to tighten the drain plug bolt (another oops)

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Trader Score: 0 reviews
He is correct-once the exhaust is out of your way, the job is simple. Just dont be like me and wait to fix it. WHAT A MESS! But thank you for that awesome write up. I looked it all over then did the work. I love this site!!
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Great Write-up.

I'm about to tackle this in a friend's Mom's 2003 Taurus. Thanks very much for providing such great information.

I do have one question:

Step 9 states to Remove the Transaxle Support Brace. Do I need to support the engine/transaxle with a floorjack or cherry-picker before I un-install this from the car? I don't see any instruction or evidence that this is necessary, but its better to ask rather than be left in the dark.

Thanks, Gentlemen.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Mumbles @ May 23 2010, 10:09 AM)
Quote:
Great Write-up.

I'm about to tackle this in a friend's Mom's 2003 Taurus. Thanks very much for providing such great information.

I do have one question:

Step 9 states to Remove the Transaxle Support Brace. Do I need to support the engine/transaxle with a floorjack or cherry-picker before I un-install this from the car? I don't see any instruction or evidence that this is necessary, but its better to ask rather than be left in the dark.

Thanks, Gentlemen.[/b]
No support is necessary. Its just a small piece that must help brace all the Bull power coming out of the transaxle. There is no actual weight on this thing. You will see once you get it apart that it doesn't hold anything up. Just dont be like me and put one of the studs that bolt it up in the wrong place.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 PM

QUOTE (reson8ts @ May 23 2010, 11:46 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Mumbles @ May 23 2010, 10:09 AM)
Quote:
Great Write-up.

I do have one question:

Thanks, Gentlemen.[/b]
No support is necessary. Its just a small piece that must help brace all the Bull power coming out of the transaxle. There is no actual weight on this thing. You will see once you get it apart that it doesn't hold anything up. Just dont be like me and put one of the studs that bolt it up in the wrong place.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks very much. Planning on tearing into here in a week or so. I'm gonna print this Writeup so I can have it out in the shop when start disassembly.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 03:40 AM

QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Sep 16 2007, 12:08 PM)
Quote:
Good writeup!! Mind if I add it to the Wiki and credit you?[/b]

Hello- Would this procedure/application goes as well for a 1999 Taurus 6cyl 3.0? Please advise. It is only my gasket that needs replacing. Thank you.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 10:48 AM

Completed the Oil Pan Gasket Replacement on Tuesday. Not difficult at all.

The worst part was getting the bolts out of the smaller of the two exhaust flanges on the exit of Y-pipe. A little persuasion with the Impact Wrench convinced them to come out.

Thanks again for the write-up!
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Chapter: Northeast

thanks
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 PM

notes on gen. 3 oil pan gasket replacement

I'm just finishing up replacement of the oil pan gasket on my gen. 3 duratec. Its pretty much the same as the gen. 4 but the y pipe is just slightly different. The differences that I can tell are:

1. You only need 1 gasket at the rear where the y-pipe meets the flex tube. Ford part #5E241

2. There's an oxygen sensor that needs to be removed before the y-pipe will drop. Its the one that is on the engine side of the rear catalytic converter. Its really tucked up in there and the whole y-pipe will hang on it otherwise. I was able to get a 22 mm open-end wrench on it to break it loose but to continue turning, I had to take a box-end wrench and saw a notch in it. I needed the 12 point increments. I also ended up sawing the wrench off short so that I could clear the y-pipe on the other end of the wrench. A bench grinder comes in handy here.

Other non-gen.3 notes:

3. I had to take a propane torch and a hammer to break loose the rear two bolts where y-pipe meets the flex tube. Just heat the whole thing up until its slightly glowing and then beat on the end of the bolt as well as the junction of the y-pipe and the flex tube. Turns much easier after that. I also ended up replacing these bolts and nuts. The ford dealer wanted about $33 with tax for them. For two bolts and two nuts? That's where I walk.

4. I believe that step 18 may be a little backwards. The oil pan gasket bolts should be torqued _before_ torquing the oil pan to transaxle bolts. At least I think this is what the autozone procedure said. I think that if it is done the other way around, its possible that the pressure on the transaxle may keep the oil pan from seating into the gasket properly.

-Steve
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 08:42 AM

Chapter: Northeast

Oil Pan Gasket Sealant

Found a diagram for the oil gasket sealant location for anyone else that may of missed this step.

Awesome step by step instructions.

Last edited by SRF525; 09-05-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page