Vulcan Cam Synchronizer/sensor Replacement - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesmith47 View Post
two things, NO,NO,NO!!! to the dorman parts only use the FORD part for this replacement.
second thing i replaced mine and the tdc issue is crazy, it seems that ford does not have a tdc mark on the block i tookthe wheelofff , gotit up in the air and had 4 people look for it , no luck.
after getting the syncro replaced i got a cel , so i repositioned it with the tool still cel so i drove it gas mileage was correct acceleration i s ok. so next week off to the dealer to get ripped maybe
The A1 Cardone used to be good until Dorman Syncros started making it into the reman process. Now A1 Cardone is just a good as dorman.

Which is why I said to get a Motorcraft one from the dealership.

-2007 Mazda Axela (3s sport) "Ai", 2.3L MZR DOHC I4, 5F31J T-ATX True Red
-SOLD-1999 Jeep TJ Wrangler, AMC 150 OHV I-4, Aisin-Warner AX-5 MTX Flame Red
-TOTALED-1996 Ford Taurus GL "Able", 3.0L OHV V6 Vulcan, AX4N ATX Toreador Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT, 4.0L SOHC Cologne V6, 5R55E ATX Silver Birch Metallic
-2007 Nissan Quest 3.5SE, 3.5L VQ35DE DOHC V6, RE5F22A ATX Silver Mist Metallic
Lights on for safety!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 AM

Chapter: Northeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomPerfSys View Post
it does not need to be at TDC, as long as you put it in in the exact manner it came out, you will be fine. literally get out a ruler and use white out to draw 5-6 reference points, i did then on the intake manifold, head, block, and valve cover.

I installed my synchronizer replacement wrong, (despite trying use both good reference marks and the tool), and think it was because I was off on setting #1 at TDC.

Meanwhile I have finally found timing marks on my balancer, and now have 2 questions, before I redo it:

1). If I line up 0* mark with "the pointer" on the front cover....will that guarantee #1 piston will be at exact TDC ?? [provided of course compression stroke is confirmed, and balancer has not slipped]

2). If TDC use of the tool and so on; is all done right this time: Would not proper installation be positively confirmed, by confirming vane tab is in fact, directly opposite the sensor's magnet (confirming the signal is in fact being sent to PCM at exactly TDC)??

Thanks in advance to any whom cares to comment.

-Mike Pittsburgh PA

Last edited by michael5; 09-01-2011 at 10:20 AM.
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks to this thread I was able to diagnose the problem, order the part and fix it within 3 days for under $50!

I have an '02 Taurus with under 39k miles and mine just failed. I did the usual searching with a doweloscope only to be baffled enough to check online. I ordered the aftermarket part from Amazon and with 2 day shipping it was under $50. Getting to the cam sync on the engine was tough, but I just removed the throttle cable bracket, the 3 plug wires that run through the area, and a couple other hoses and harnesses. I was able to bend the big wire bundle/ harness that runs on top of the sync out of the way and secure it with a bungee.

If you have any knowledge of distributors or mechanic skills you can do this without finding TDC, as long as you mark the positions as mentioned by other posters. The alignment tool included with the part is only for putting the part in with the engine in TDC position. If you're not sure you can do this or find TDC then you should probably just pay the $200-$300 to get it fixed, just in case.

Last edited by brstma; 02-19-2011 at 11:40 AM.

post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 PM

cam synchronizer timing

I just replaced cam synchronizer and sensor in my 02 Taurus. I was very careful to create reference points in the old unit prior to removal. I was comfortable that alignment was accurate during installation. When starting the car after installation, a great deal of time cranking was necessary to fire up. The car started and seemed to run fine. The next day a great deal of cranking was again necessary. I seems I have the timing off. How do I get the proper timing back?
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 AM

addition to information base

After replacing the synchronizer and sensor, being very careful to reinstall according to reference marks, I had difficulty getting the car started and was triggering "check engine" light. Naturally I presumed that I had misaligned the synchronizer. Problem, as it turns out, resulted from temp sending unit that I replaced at the same time. Parts supplier gave me the wrong part and the computer was reading 338 degrees temp and wouldn't start. Right sending unit installed, no other changes, and the car runs very well with no chirp.
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Devoted Member

If you buy a Cardone reman, pull it out of the box and look at it. The one I bought still said "Ford" on the casting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 PM

Chapter: Midwest

Had to complete this swap yesterday. Few things I observed. Went to Autoz0ne for my parts...all parts seemed to be Dorman quality whether Dorman or Cardone. I drove over 40 miles to different stores to find ONE out of 15 that had almost no play in the shaft. I did see almost all have triple wall pins. I also found some were half cast and half milled with a set pin. All of the above were Cardone and at Autoz0ne only. Seems like quality will continue to be an issue.

I started this project thinking the DPFE? sensor was bad...but after changing the sensor; the motor felt better and didn't buck til after 2500rpm (up from 2000rpm). Changing the Sync fixed the issue completely.

I also must say I pulled the old unit before making marks to note placement (because the sensor was fused to the top). Setting to TDC was easy to fix that issue.

Gotta say I'm not a fan of Fords...but the thought put into placement of items on and around the motor (except for the wiring harness) is on par with Mercedes. This and alot of other minor repairs have been painless.
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 PM

Looking to replace Cam Synchronizer

So, I'm going to buy the assembly and have a mechanic do the labor only. First, what is the difference with the Cardone parts? They had 2:
A-1 CARDONE Part # 30S2600 w/Step on Plug
A-1 CARDONE Part # 30S2600L w/o Step on Plug
Anyone know what the Step on Plug is and what the difference is?

Also, any further word on if the rebuilt Cardone parts are failing and it's just better to go with the original ($60 vs $130)?

Appreciate any info greatly!!
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Chapter: Midwest

Is this cam part also found on the Duratec 24v. Our 03 Sable seems to be chirping, passenger side, 105,000+ miles.
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM

The Duratec doesn't use the cam syncro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page