How To: Change G4 Shifter Lights - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
This is how to change the shifter lights to LEDs, or just to replace them if one burns out. I did this WITHOUT removing the shift knob. Here goes.... **excuse the scum under the shifter.

First, grab the cover right here and lift up. It will come, but it may take a little pressure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1__Large_.JPG (88.2 KB, 2930 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

here is its without the cover. these holes are where the clips from the cover go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2__Large_.JPG (79.3 KB, 2437 views)
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Next, there are four small clips that hold on the PRNDL cover. you have to kind of pull them out a little to get the cover off. (they are black and are a part of the cover. the white part is what they attach too.) Please be careful though, because they are quite fragile. I only have two left, so watch out and dont pull too hard. Just pull enough to get them to move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3__Large___Medium_.JPG (87.0 KB, 2222 views)

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Now swing the cover around out of the way. (The yellow arrows point to the fragile clips I mentioned earlier). OK, now the blue arrow points to the cover that is actually over the light bulbs. Yours will probably appear black or green, but mine doesnt because I already got that stuff off. The red arrows show where that small cover snaps on. I removed mine and sanded the tint off with a Scotch Brite pad. Then, to make it translucent instead of clear, I used a piece of Scotch brand magic tape. (Not the transparent kind, but the opaque white one.) Again, I did that just so you couldnt see the bulbs under the letters. It just spreads out the light a little better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4__Large_.JPG (80.0 KB, 2723 views)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Here is the shifter with the bulb cover out of the way. As you can see, there are just two small bulbs in there. (194). The ones in the photo are blue LEDs. All you have to do is pull out the old bulbs and put in the LEDs. They are direct fit replacements. Polarity is important so if the bulb doesn't work, take it out and turn the leads 180 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6__Large_.JPG (75.2 KB, 2840 views)
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Here it is all lit up....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7__Large_.JPG (82.0 KB, 2324 views)
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Just go in reverse to put it all back together. Here it is in the finished state. The lights appear uneven in the daylight, but at night they even out. They are very bright, so dimming a little helps with the brightness as well as evening out the light. This is an easy little project if ya have a little time on a Saturday or something. If I left anything important out, let me know or post your additions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8__Large_.JPG (56.5 KB, 2734 views)
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to godspunk32
Good write-up.

You might want to drop a small bit of hot glue on the top of those LEDs. The look awesome, but the hot spots over the bulbs make it look a little uneven. Some hot glue should do the trick to disperse the light.

JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

good suggestion. they look fine at night though.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Devoted Member

excellent write up!

my question is, is it bettter to keep the green bulb shield on? i just took it off and put amber leds in. so should i take the green off and put it back on?

heres mine:

[img]http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1035/5271028/10981325/167574407.jpg' alt='' width='533' height='400' class='attach' />

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in