good mechanic needed in central florida? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Please Select a Region:

Trader Score: 0 reviews
good mechanic needed in central florida?

hi, just wondering about any good independent shops or dealerships to go to for repairs that are good and honest.i live in the deland/daytona beach area.the mechanic I have been using for the last 10 years has been slowly going down hill.the guys he has now dont diagnose well.they guess and throw parts at my car.they dont double check there work.had to bring it back the last few times.my oil pressure light flickers when car is stopped after driving for a while.the car runs fine.it has 186,700 miles on it.i had oil changed at the dealership a couple of days ago.I changed it and filter every 3000 miles.the oil pressure sending unit was replaced but did not solve the problem.he told me to bring it back and leave it with him for the day to test the oil pressure on the engine.I thought he did it before hand.i sat there for 4 hours.i just want to confirm if the motor is too worn or if it can be fixed.i dont want to waste anymore time or money.thanks in advance.i have kept up with the maintenence schedule to the t.this would suck if this car is ready to die so early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Frankly, your mechanic's shop sounds as if they are doing things properly. No one can troubleshoot a low oil-pressure situation without replacing the most obvious, least expensive potential causes first. That is (I hope) what you yourself would do if you were doing the work yourself. Short of doing a Vulcan mind-meld (ooh, nice pun there), no one can become one with the automobile and know beyond a shadow of a doubt what causes certain things to happen.

Granted, some are obvious; but tracking down the cause of a low-pressure event in a 12-year-old vehicle isn't one of them. Your oil pump may be worn to the point of replacement; it may work OK, but your oil ports (some or all) may be constricted from sludge and age; and/or your engine may just have enough overall wear to the point where a slightly thicker-grade oil is needed to keep up the recommended pressure within the system.

Are you getting any trouble codes?

Now, if they were trying to replace your camshaft or recommending a transmission rebuild for a flickering oil-pressure light....that's another scenario for another day. I wish you were closer to Fort Myers - I'd be happy to give the car a good checking-out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui4697
this would suck if this car is ready to die so early.
Sounds as if you plan to keep the car for a while...chances are, this is a small problem worth solving.

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lgbpop; 04-05-2013 at 09:21 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

is there a way to safely remove the sludge without damaging the engine?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Year: 1990
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

A lot of members on this forum (me included) have tried Seafoam engine treatment and have been satisfied with the results. It can be added to the fuel tank to clean out the induction system, but also into the crankcase to help de-varnish the engine innards. It's sold at most auto parts places. I also remember using STP oil treatment back in the 1970s, it helped some too. Some people swear by Marvel Mystery Oil, but I never had any experience with it myself.

Whichever way you go, follow directions and don't leave the additive in the oil any longer than called for. Running an engine too long on thinned-out oil is begging for trouble.

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

excellent thank you very much.definitely worth a try.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:57 PM

kam,

The oil pressure should be checked. The engine should be fully warmed up to get a good reading.

Also, make sure the engine is idling at the correct specified RPM. If there is a problem with the tune, it may idle too low in some circumstances and the oil light then flickers.

If the car has oil pressure and does not knock, I'd be temped to try a heavier oil, like 20W-50.

Make sure the engine is not overheating. Excessive heat will thin the oil.

"Home of the Brown Beater and the Grey Ghost"

Last edited by Barkentine; 04-14-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added phrase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page