How To Flush Your Tranny At Home - Page 30 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #291 of 293 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 94
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.8L Essex

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Blough View Post
Another note. I pumped out 4.5 quarts when I ran the engine and got another 1.5 quarts when I dropped the pan, for a total of 6 quarts. I was expecting to get close to 13, but I didn't check the level before I started.

I then put 14 quarts in (probably 2 or 3 quarts more than I needed but the fluid came out dark brown like oil so I wanted to be sure it was flushed well) but only pumped out 11 before the flow stopped.

I then reconnected the return line put another 2 quarts in which should have given me 5 quarts in. I then noticed leak and dropped the pan to change the gasket and got another 4.5 quarts out, leaving me with .5 quarts in.

When I went to refill everything, It took only 7 quarts before going to the top of the cross hatch pattern on the dip stick.

So it looks like there is always about 6 quarts in the tranny even after pumping it out and dropping the pan.

I was confused by the original post that said add ten quarts and pump until it stops or turns red and then add 5 quarts and check level, not realizing there is always about 6 quarts remaining in the tranny (which makes sense if he said only add 5 quarts and then check the level).

I almost put 8 quarts in before checking, assuming I was going to need about 12 or 13 quarts but I stopped at 7 quarts.

The fluid level is a little above the top of the cross hatch pattern. Maybe 1/8 inch. Do I need to pump some out to get it in the crosshatch pattern?
Good idea to pump the pan out before the drop, then to drop the pan to inspect for debris, clean it & the magnet & to replace tranny filter, then refill the 6qts removed & continue on with a full fluid pumpout.

Yes the difference between what fluid was removed with the pan pumpout & drop, remains in the torque converter, valve body, cooler & lines, about half the system capacity, or about 6.25 qts.

If we've overfilled a bit & want to remove some fluid, add a length of tubing, say a foot or two longer than the tranny dipstick, to an old hand soap pumps syphon tube, so its long enough that if it comes loose it won't fall out of reach into the tranny fill tube & is long enough to easily work with as follows. Feed it down the tranny dipstick tube until it reaches the bottom of the tranny pan & pump away, to remove small amounts of fluid.

Here is my page 11 tweak on that thread, on how I do the home pumpout fluid service, that might shed some light on your questions.
https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/1440892-post104.html

94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A
99 Ranger XLT 4dr 4.0L 5spd Auto
Payload & Tow Pkg

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.

Last edited by pawpaw; 11-30-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 293 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 10:50 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehawk View Post
Also thought I'd add this because I didn't see it in this thread. If you're only changing the fluid in the pan and your filter, you'll need about 8 quarts of ATF.

I don't know why the Haynes manual says to pour in four quarts and then add as needed. I felt like a dumbass adding one quart at a time and then checking the level. Friggin took forever because each time you check the level you have run it through gears. Anyway, my fluid level finally started looking good at around 7 1/2 quarts, this was in a 97 duratec with the AX4N tranny.
I think I'm going to bypass disconnecting the hoses and simply change the fluid in the pan.

Is it as straightforward as it seems: remove the 17 bolts, drop the pan, change the filter, reattach and fill?
post #293 of 293 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Spend my 02 wisely...

Chapter: Southern

Please check the date and refrain from bumping old topics. If it's been more than 6 months and you're not an original party to the thread, please start a new topic or send a PM if it's a question to a specific question.

Thanks!

-Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page