How To Flush Your Tranny At Home - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 293 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Twilight Send a message via MSN to Twilight
Yeah my friend had a gen 1 and he changed fluid for the first time at 160k. 90 Vulcan. Original trans.

05 Lincoln LS V8 - black/black, tints, stock (for now).

99 Mercury Sable LS (retired) - green/gray, Duratec, 135000 mi, G4 Taurus wheels, stereo, 11.6" brakes, clear corners, stack of parts in the garage and endless list of repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 293 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by Twilight@Apr 21 2005, 04:56 PM
Paul... your opinion on changing tranny fluid in my car? 120,000 miles, fluid likely not changed for a while as it's brown but I don't know how long...it had close to 100 on it when I bought it. Is it not gonna work when I change the fluid?
Well it sure isn't going to get any better.......

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #23 of 293 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:52 PM
EKS

I just did this and it sure was as easy as people have said. Now I just have to clean up my garage floor because the hose moved while I was flushing.

Thanks for the how-to!

post #24 of 293 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 12:28 PM

I haven't needed to change my fluid yet so I dont know if this applies, but a magnet in your pan never hurt anything. I had one in mine and it was great cause it let me know if there were any shavings (which there never were) and it caught some of the smaller stuff that I guess made it through the filter.

I would simply pull off any larger particles and then put it in my makefshift parts cleaner. (A 5ive gallon bucket 1 Gal Keroscene, 1 Gal Diesel, and about 1.5 Gal of WD-40 and Carb Cleaner.) Get a wire brush and clean it off in that stuff (mabye wear gloves.... ) and put it back in.
post #25 of 293 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 4 reviews
The Gen 3s have a magnet in them as original equipment. A Magnifine in line filter is also a good idea and easy to splice in. You can use the splice as the drain point before the AUX cooler.

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #26 of 293 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 08:56 PM

My 97 Taurus G has NEVER had this done. The fluid doesnt really smell burnt, but it is darkish. I am creeping up on 116K miles, and all mechanic shops want me to sign a waiver that I will not hold them liable if my tranny stops working afterwards.... .whats the deal with that!? Is it really at that much of a risk to change it? Would I honestly be better off to leave it the way it is??? Mines not jumpy, not laggy, jerking, sluggish... nothing. I just wanna go ahead and do it before it becomes absolutely life or death necessary (and before it does get the burnt smell..... its just really darkish red colored). A little Prevenative Maintenance never hurt anyone, eh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 293 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 09:01 PM
jason8225

Quote:
Originally posted by ArkiesPrincess@May 25 2005, 09:56 PM
My 97 Taurus G has NEVER had this done. The fluid doesnt really smell burnt, but it is darkish. I am creeping up on 116K miles, and all mechanic shops want me to sign a waiver that I will not hold them liable if my tranny stops working afterwards.... .whats the deal with that!? Is it really at that much of a risk to change it? Would I honestly be better off to leave it the way it is??? Mines not jumpy, not laggy, jerking, sluggish... nothing. I just wanna go ahead and do it before it becomes absolutely life or death necessary (and before it does get the burnt smell..... its just really darkish red colored). A little Prevenative Maintenance never hurt anyone, eh?
Has it ever been flushed before?
post #28 of 293 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 08:52 PM

umm 116k?wow thats a lot of shifts. I had a grandpa driven grand marquis with the AOD-E with burnt smellign tranny fluid....at 83K. I find it hard to believe that yours has NEVER been flushed. Or changed. It probably has been changed but not flushed.
post #29 of 293 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 06:32 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tupacglock@May 26 2005, 08:52 PM
umm 116k?wow thats a lot of shifts. I had a grandpa driven grand marquis with the AOD-E with burnt smellign tranny fluid....at 83K. I find it hard to believe that yours has NEVER been flushed. Or changed. It probably has been changed but not flushed.
I don't see why you find that hard to believe. It definitely happens, and it's definitely not uncommon.

In any event, Twilight, flush it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 293 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to blowerwhine Send a message via Yahoo to blowerwhine
Quote:
Originally posted by ArkiesPrincess@May 25 2005, 07:56 PM
I have seen it many times over workign for a fleet lease company. the car would go too long without the tranny service, and against our recomendations a driver would ok one and typically within a few moths the tranny would let loose.

kind of playing the odds.......

89 Sable wagon "Teh Wagon" R.I.P. old buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page