The Definitive Turbo/sc Guide V.1 - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I could probably get pipes made for dirt cheap if not free...I can get used turbo's for 49 bucks and intercoolers for 30... On the duratec the rear exaust manifold looks like it might have enough room to install a pipe onto it and direct it to a turbo and back out.. It would be a tight fit but I think Its possible....however can you rely on just one header?
I personally wouldnt boost more than 6psi if more mods to the engine wern't made. My question is where would you tap into for oil and coolant supply on the duratec? Should turbo be timed to "run" when only the secondaries are open? I can get free exaust work done, The education center I work for may weld for free, and some things can be machined for free as well... dont worry I dont have my hopes up for anything...

As far as supercharging.. Installing a supercharger in the batteries location could work if a bracket is madethat would hold a pulley, a rod, and another pulley on the opposite side for the supercharger..dont no how strong what would have to be...but that would be much easier specially with a self contained supercharger....

Current Vehicals:
1998 Volvo V70 AWD 196,000 (project)
1998 Volvo S70 T5 206,000 (daily driver)
1996 Ford Taurus LX 187,000 (rusted out, but drives)
1980 Mazda RX-7 Anniversary X 142k (project)

Past Vehicals
1993 Isuzu Trooper (junked)
1992 Ford Tempo GL (sold)
1992 Subaru Loyale (sold/junked)
1994 Toyota Camry LE (sold)
1996 Ford Taurus GL (junked)
1994 Ford Aerostar Cargo (sold)
1993 Ford Taurus (traded)
1990 Ford Tempo GL (sold/junked)
1987 Dodge Aries (junked)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Devoted Member

Send a message via MSN to SableTuner
Great article but whats parasitic drag and i heard that its possible to put an SC and a Turbo in a car. Is that true?

Gen3 Shaggin Waggon owner
Mods: blue led gauges, clear corners, k&n panel filter, 9007 silverstars, bangin sound system: alpine type-s 6.5, polk db570, alpine type-r sub, 750 watt alpine amp, panasonic headunit
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:45 PM
DMX

Send a message via AIM to DMX Send a message via MSN to DMX Send a message via Yahoo to DMX
Parasitic drag refers to the amount of power it takes to spin the supercharger (and on a much much smaller scale the exhaust backpressure created- and therefore HP lost spooling a turbo)

On mine for example, its pretty well known that roots blowers take more power to spin than say a centrifugal blower. For arguments sake lets say the M90 adds 200 horsepower to my engine, however to spin the blower fast enough to make the boost needed to do that it takes 50 hp - that is the parasitic loss.

Under Construction
Supercharged 1995 Ford Taurus LX 4.3L V6 | Ported 1994 Eaton M90 Supercharger @ 9 PSI
Ported & Polished Heads + Lower Intake | Ported Exhaust Manifolds
.030" Over, Coated Forged pistons, 6.125" Forged Rods
4.2L F150 Crankshaft, 2000 Windstar Engine
Megasquirt EMS + *Stock Taurus PCM testing for AX4S control only*
42# Injectors
Walbro 190LPH Pump
Professional Products 75mm TB, Ebay 24X12x3 FMIC - 2.5" Piping
115# - 340#/In Valve Springs
Dr. Fred .520 lift Camshaft

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 12:23 AM

http://rogueperformance.com/sc.html

It's my Ranger, but the theory and mechanics are the same. Enjoy!

Supercharged '94 Splash, 3.0L, 5sp, 3.73's turning 31x10.5's with magical, self-healing head gaskets!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(.mpg)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tmonster@Aug 15 2004, 05:41 PM
Should turbo be timed to "run" when only the secondaries are open?
this statement makes no sense
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tmonster@Aug 15 2004, 05:41 PM
I could probably get pipes made for dirt cheap if not free...I can get used turbo's for 49 bucks and intercoolers for 30... On the duratec the rear exaust manifold looks like it might have enough room to install a pipe onto it and direct it to a turbo and back out.. It would be a tight fit but I think Its possible....however can you rely on just one header?
I personally wouldnt boost more than 6psi if more mods to the engine wern't made. My question is where would you tap into for oil and coolant supply on the duratec? Should turbo be timed to "run" when only the secondaries are open? I can get free exaust work done, The education center I work for may weld for free, and some things can be machined for free as well... dont worry I dont have my hopes up for anything...

As far as supercharging.. Installing a supercharger in the batteries location could work if a bracket is madethat would hold a pulley, a rod, and another pulley on the opposite side for the supercharger..dont no how strong what would have to be...but that would be much easier specially with a self contained supercharger....
Tap the line that feeds into the turbo in the lower portion of the oil pan for the part that drains back into it put it above the oil in the pan so it will be allowed to enter with ease.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 06:14 PM

OK, there are millions of Tauri out there. From 1986 thru 2005 there must have been at least 200,000 built per year. From 1996 thru 2005 the Duratec has been around. Does anyone build a turbocharger kit for the Duratec? Is there a business case to build a turbocharger kit for these engines? Now that I have it paid off and it's has over 100,000 miles on it, it would be interesting to create a turbocharger system for this setup.

What would it take to match an existing turbocharger flow to the Duratec (in so far as flow)? Can we come up with a modified fuel management system (under $800)?

Tmonster - I would be interested in tubing and we would need a manifold.

The big question is how many can we sell?

Cheers,

Burt

96 Taurus LX 24V Duratec
Leather Seats, Climate Control, JBL Audio, Moonroof, Keyless Entry

-
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Devoted Member

No one has made a kit for the Duratec or the Vulcan. There's just not enough of an aftermarket for a Taurus/Sable turbo kit.

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to godspunk32
Read this. Also, this has been discussed hundreds of times by people with little to no motivation, but a head full of ideas. I really don't mean to sound like a jerk, but people ask this stuff so often. You can search through the threads in the Engine & Drivetrain forum, but no, there is no turbo kit for a stock Duratec. There is a twin-turbo Duratec used in the Noble M12, but it will cost you $55K for a kit. Yes, you can have a new manifold custom fabbed, but as with everything else, it will cost you a ton of money.

JR

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 07:05 PM

Talking

Disclaimer - This exercise may lead no where, but it can illustrate that the challenge can be met on a technical basis. The business case is another story. OK, the challenge is cost vs benefit - I agree.

It would be interesting to figure out the pieces of the puzzle that make a system work for the Duratec. The turbocharger, the manifold, the controller, blow off valve (or wastegate), and injector sizing. Each of the folks in this thread seem to have an interest. Beefstu1 obviously understands the entire system - Tmonster seems to have an answer for some, if not all of the ducting (exhaust tubing). Some one with controller expertise is required. A few dynamometer runs would be required. I see this as somewhat of a science project.

If the right team, the right opportunity, and a creative business person were put together, we could make this happen. Funny things sometimes happen :-)

Who ever thought Chrysler (I am a Chrysler Fan) would make it out of the 1980'S?

Cheers,

Burt

96 Taurus LX 24V Duratec
Leather Seats, Climate Control, JBL Audio, Moonroof, Keyless Entry

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page