Very Concerning Engine Noise Cont'd - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Very Concerning Engine Noise Cont'd

2001 Sable Wagon Duratech 82,000K; 2nd post on this, please see (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-...ml#post3463725) for more background; 6-26 very concerning engine noise)

Hello again everyone- This is the continuing saga of the frightful intermittent noise my car engine is making. I have now recorded it and there is a video of my recorder playing the noise on youtube:

Since my last post, I took the car to Ford. The service manager was instructed to allow me to play the noise to the mechanic, prior to him looking for the cause. However, they have a mind of their own. I sat waiting, to play my tape. And a while later the mechanic came out. I thought it was my opportunity to play it for him, the sound, before he did his examination. But he already had taken the car out. He said he heard "the noise" and it was the compressor, citing also some rust and dust he had found on the pulley. He then allowed me to play the tape. He stumbled, but said "yep, that's it". Since the noise had occurred with me for a total of about 10 minutes in the last 3 months, I thought that it seamed unlikely the noise would show up for him. In hind-sight, it seemed like the same old Ford routine. Fix something for a high price, and then later when the problem is not solved, make an excuse. At the time I did not agree to have it fixed, as I have a regular long term mechanic. My agreement with them was to hunt for a problem that would cause the strange, troubling noise I had on the recorder, and pay for it hourly (up to two hours).

So you know, the AC has never failed and works well. The Ford mechanic said, when I brought that up, that it would fail in the future.

So I did buy a compressor and took the car to my regular mechanic (gung-ho this morning) - an honest guy I trust, but not a trained Ford mechanic. He looked at it and listened again. He used some type of a tuning rod or something . He said, once again, that he couldn't find anything. he believed a compressor wouldn't make noise, and then not make noise, every 150 or so miles over the course of three months. He said he usually finds metal shavings around when a pulley is going bad. He said the compressor seemed to be working fine. He would go ahead and replace it, but wanted to know if that was what I really wanted, the labor was quite expensive. After driving around in circles for 2 hours and again no noise to demonstrate, I decided not to replace it and hope now for a consistent noise to appear and demonstrate in the future, that does not leave me stranded on the side of the road. Not only do the mechanics want a noise, they want to be able to test where it is coming from. On the other hand, I want to not damage my car by driving it, and not be stranded on the side of the road. Help!

The noise is in the video. I mistakenly say at the end 150 thousand miles but meant 150 miles. The car hood was never opened while recording. The noise from the inside, seems to be coming from the right front passenger side of the car. It was loudest outside, again, on the right front passenger side. I don't know about underneath. It once again stopped on its own that day at the end of the video as you can hear. Thank you very much for viewing and any reply. Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 06:32 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Have you looked at the air filter to see if it is damaged and possibly fluttering in the housing. Long shot.

Maybe also a sticking serpentine belt tensioner that is sticking and not tensioning the belt which can cause the belt to flutter. Another long shot.

Last edited by Automender12345; Today at 06:35 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 06:51 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
First inspect the A/C clutch as in the pic, they use rubber springs that fail and make the drive plate drag, get hot and make noise. In this case, the A/C still works when engaged but when not it makes noise.

Visual inspection.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACclutchFails.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	209171  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 06:55 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

+1 belt tensioner seizing up. That’s what it sounds like to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page