Questions RE "Check Transmission" Warning Light/Buzzer - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2004
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Questions RE "Check Transmission" Warning Light/Buzzer

My 2004 SES recently showed this warning light after driving about 20 highway miles - no other symptoms. I checked fluid level and found it very low; filled w/Mercon V into hatched area per instruction manual. No issues until a few days ago, when it showed the same warning on a 1.5 hr highway trip.

I bought this car used at 102K and it now has 192K. I haven't changed the trans fluid or filter, & don't know the car's previous history. The fluid on the dipstick doesn't look black or smell bad. Car shifts well and shows no trans issues besides the warning light.

After this latest incident I got zero codes listed when checked with my Bluetooth OBD-II reader.

Questions:

Could a clogged trans filter, by itself, trigger the warning light?
Do trans codes show only on a pro-level OBD-II reader, or can I trust my reader's output?
Should I have the pan dropped and replace fluid/filter ASAP, then continue to replace more fluid every few thousand miles?

Any other advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:36 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005

Are you sure your scan tool will read tranny related codes (P07xx, P08xx, P17xx, P18xx)? Some cheaper scan tools wont.

Filter is likely in sad shape. Ford recommends fluid change every 30K miles. Your mileage is over six times that. I would drop the pan, change the filter, and refill to full, and repeat again a time or 2 every few hundred miles as a pan drop only gets about 50% of the old fluid out. Or use the tranny pump to pump out all the old fluid, drop pan, replace filter and refill. this method is explained somewhere on this site, and is also in the Ford service manuals. DO NOT get a power flush!!!!!

Using either method is an easy but somewhat messy DIY project only requiring basic hand tools. Use ONLY Mercon V fluid.
durasel likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ And to be sure, you are checking the atf level when warm and idling in Park?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for these tips! Can you recommend a good pump that will work through the filler tube?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Hi Sheila, yes I checked only after driving for a while and running the shifter through all gears before checking with engine on.
sheila likes this.

Last edited by whatevah99; 06-27-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevah99 View Post
Thanks for these tips! Can you recommend a good pump that will work through the filler tube?

The one I have is a cheap Harbor Freight hand pump and it works great
durasel, sheila and whatevah99 like this.

Kevin

Current stable
2004 Sable LS Prem DOHC
2003 Taurus SES Vulcan
2002 Taurus SES DOHC

Retired:
2001 Taurus SES DOHC
2000 Taurus SE Vulcan
1994 Sable GS
1988 Taurus LX
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:13 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

^+1 on the pan drop/filter change. Walmart shopping list: Sterilite clear under-the bed storage tub large enough to hold the tranny pan to use as a drain pan, couple rolls of Scott's blue paper shop towels, couple cans of brake cleaner and 8 qts. of Supertech Mercon V atf. Clean/reuse the oem pan gasket, clean magnet and pan with brake cleaner and towels. Grab a filter from a parts store or Rockauto online. I initially add 6 qts. of atf and top off with 1/2 to 1 pint increments as needed. I remove the 19 8mm pan bolts with 3/8"dr. ratchet/socket. I replace with 1/4"dr. ratchet /socket. Also, with the leftover atf, you can grab a cheap turkey baster from Wallyworld and suck the ps reservoir empty and refill with fresh atf. 2 birds with 1 stone, lol.
kekaye56 and whatevah99 like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Torque spec?

Thanks Sheila for this wrap-up and cost-saving tips! Checking out other threads here I see you're one of the xmission experts, so really appreciate your insights.

>>Do you have the ft/lb torque spec for retightening the pan bolts? I haven't found that listed on TCCA yet, and don't have a shop manual. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
^+1 on the pan drop/filter change. Walmart shopping list: Sterilite clear under-the bed storage tub large enough to hold the tranny pan to use as a drain pan, couple rolls of Scott's blue paper shop towels, couple cans of brake cleaner and 8 qts. of Supertech Mercon V atf. Clean/reuse the oem pan gasket, clean magnet and pan with brake cleaner and towels. Grab a filter from a parts store or Rockauto online. I initially add 6 qts. of atf and top off with 1/2 to 1 pint increments as needed. I remove the 19 8mm pan bolts with 3/8"dr. ratchet/socket. I replace with 1/4"dr. ratchet /socket. Also, with the leftover atf, you can grab a cheap turkey baster from Wallyworld and suck the ps reservoir empty and refill with fresh atf. 2 birds with 1 stone, lol.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:30 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

^ 106 in./lbs. I just snug/tighten them with a 1/4" ratchet and 8mm socket in a star pattern.
kekaye56 and whatevah99 like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Digging through this car's maintenance records, I see I didn't notice one page that came with the car - it shows the trans had a complete (16 qts) fluid replacement/flush & filter change at 96K (nearly 100k ago).

I feel a bit better - only 3 pan drops behind! ;-D Buying supplies now for a pan drop/filter change ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page