Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Coil brands

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  james27613 
#1 ·
I've sent my PCM off to be repaired, so while I wait I'm working so that the problem never reappears.
It all started when cyl #6 had an intermittent misfire and the scan showed the coil driver was bad. I changed the coil and while I was there pulled the front plugs. They were original and gapped between 60 and 80 thou, so I think I found the problem.
Since then I took off the intake manifold and removed the back plugs, all of which had the same very wide gaps. All the plugs have now been replaced with NGK platinum.

All of the coils check good for resistance so should I change them or keep the originals, and if not can anyone recommend a decent replacement brand?. Factory coils are out of the question as this car has already been a money pit, but if anyone can warn me of the brands to keep clear of it would be much appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
The only brands other than Motorcraft that have been largely reported to be trouble free are Accel & Airtex/Wells/BWD (although opinions differ on the Wells) Motorcraft are less expensive than Accel and the cost differential between Motorcraft and Wells is largely a matter of smart shopping. Motorcraft DG513's can be had online for @ $30, making the purchase of a lesser brand a false economy.

#7 ·
Still makes me wonder if they are genuine or even if it matters.
I searched to find out where the Motorcraft coils are made, and all I can find on the package is that the label was printed in the US, no country of manufacture for the contents. A bit more digging and it seems that Denso is the OEM supplier of ignition coils to Ford, and the coils are made in the Denso factory in China!
So it would seem that whatever the brand, no matter how American it may sound, it will in reality be made in China.

#10 ·
Not so.
Craftsman tools were at one time all made in the USA and were of great quality. Then they moved production to China with supposedly the same specs and quality control, but are turning out junk.
You don't think that parts are made in China because of their stellar quality do you? they are made to a price, not a standard.

#11 · (Edited)
It's the specs and most importantly quality control and inspections. Sears sold the name Craftsman to Stanley and everything changed to reduce price. I have a set of Bench Top wrenches and sockets from 25 years ago from Kmart. They are holding up just like the old Craftsman sets I have and feel better in the hand. I use the tools that look and feel of good quality and that does not always come with the name. Best thing I ever bought was a slightly damaged stainless tool chest from Sams Club. Organization in tools saves time over the old tool box with every thing dumped in it.

When I was younger I bought tools as an investment for a life time and have collected many over the 40 years of working on my own cars. Now at 60 years old and retired I have slacked off because I can't say I will use then for the next 40 years.

Attachments

#13 ·
It's the specs and most importantly quality control and inspections. Sears sold the name Craftsman to Stanley and everything changed to reduce price. I have a set of Bench Top wrenches and sockets from 25 years ago from Kmart. They are holding up just like the old Craftsman sets I have and feel better in the hand. I use the tools that look and feel of good quality and that does not always come with the name. Best thing I ever bought was a slightly damaged stainless tool chest from Sams Club. Organization in tools saves time over the old tool box with every thing dumped in it.

When I was younger I bought tools as an investment for a life time and have collected many over the 40 years of working on my own cars. Now at 60 years old and retired I have slacked off because I can't say I will use then for the next 40 years.

Craftsman any age may be good, may be useless. I picked up a tool box with SnapOn and craftsman ratchets, 3 extensions, breaker bar, speed wrench, and set of sockets up though 1 1/4" very old Craftsman. Sockets useless, and I put them on a wire and gave them to Salvation Army store.

Pic, one on right is the very old socket. Two issues. No lead in for the ball on any extension/tool and you can't get them on. Second is the closed center limiting their use. One on left is a good useful socket.
I have a set of Craftsman sockets wife gave me in 1965 and they have taken a beating and still in great shape.

And a pic of Craftsman vs SnapOn from the same buy. Difference is clear. SnapOn double engage dog and finer teeth for less index of ratchet click, and thicker star wheel.

I keep both of course as they show little to no use, just dirty and I took them apart, cleaned and oiled for regular use.

Got lots of orphan tools but I can't let any go. Most from my father's shop when he passed.
-chart-

Attachments

#12 ·
30 years ago when I went to college for the first time, my mom couldn't come so it was just me and my dad. I think the old man was hesitant to leave me, so we went to Kmart. Everybody else was buying dorm decor and cheap furniture and what not but we were tool shopping. Bought a lot of Bench Top stuff and I still have most of it, in great shape. I was known as the tool guy and it was always fun to have the girls come ask to borrow my tools.

Sorry to digress. It's about risk. Go with Motorcraft, or you have a higher risk of it not being right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.