LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
It's the specs and most importantly quality control and inspections. Sears sold the name Craftsman to Stanley and everything changed to reduce price. I have a set of Bench Top wrenches and sockets from 25 years ago from Kmart. They are holding up just like the old Craftsman sets I have and feel better in the hand. I use the tools that look and feel of good quality and that does not always come with the name. Best thing I ever bought was a slightly damaged stainless tool chest from Sams Club. Organization in tools saves time over the old tool box with every thing dumped in it.

When I was younger I bought tools as an investment for a life time and have collected many over the 40 years of working on my own cars. Now at 60 years old and retired I have slacked off because I can't say I will use then for the next 40 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2214.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	209061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2215.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	209063  

Last edited by Automender12345; 07-02-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:20 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus

30 years ago when I went to college for the first time, my mom couldn't come so it was just me and my dad. I think the old man was hesitant to leave me, so we went to Kmart. Everybody else was buying dorm decor and cheap furniture and what not but we were tool shopping. Bought a lot of Bench Top stuff and I still have most of it, in great shape. I was known as the tool guy and it was always fun to have the girls come ask to borrow my tools.

Sorry to digress. It's about risk. Go with Motorcraft, or you have a higher risk of it not being right.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:21 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
It's the specs and most importantly quality control and inspections. Sears sold the name Craftsman to Stanley and everything changed to reduce price. I have a set of Bench Top wrenches and sockets from 25 years ago from Kmart. They are holding up just like the old Craftsman sets I have and feel better in the hand. I use the tools that look and feel of good quality and that does not always come with the name. Best thing I ever bought was a slightly damaged stainless tool chest from Sams Club. Organization in tools saves time over the old tool box with every thing dumped in it.

When I was younger I bought tools as an investment for a life time and have collected many over the 40 years of working on my own cars. Now at 60 years old and retired I have slacked off because I can't say I will use then for the next 40 years.

Craftsman any age may be good, may be useless. I picked up a tool box with SnapOn and craftsman ratchets, 3 extensions, breaker bar, speed wrench, and set of sockets up though 1 1/4" very old Craftsman. Sockets useless, and I put them on a wire and gave them to Salvation Army store.

Pic, one on right is the very old socket. Two issues. No lead in for the ball on any extension/tool and you can't get them on. Second is the closed center limiting their use. One on left is a good useful socket.
I have a set of Craftsman sockets wife gave me in 1965 and they have taken a beating and still in great shape.

And a pic of Craftsman vs SnapOn from the same buy. Difference is clear. SnapOn double engage dog and finer teeth for less index of ratchet click, and thicker star wheel.

I keep both of course as they show little to no use, just dirty and I took them apart, cleaned and oiled for regular use.

Got lots of orphan tools but I can't let any go. Most from my father's shop when he passed.
-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Socket.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	209075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rachets.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	209077  

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:24 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1999
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon

I've never had to replace the coil but if I have to I will get one from the LQK parts yard out of a wreck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page