Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos1 View Post
Also, I was talking to a Ford service rep this weekend and he said something that seemed strange to me so if anyone has info on this, let me know. I was talking to him about my problem and one of the 3 Ford service shops I talked to said that it's common for the 12V Vulcan engine to fry PCMs if their spark plugs haven't been changed regularly and that if the gap gets too big, it causes the plug to receive to large of a power draw and then it back feeds into the ignition coil and has been known to back feed to the PCM and fry something inside of it that controls the ignition sequence... Has anyone heard of that? This guy was extremely confident on his response and said that his car is on it's 3rd PCM also for that issue. Sounded fishy but then again, this is a Ford and so far almost nothing about this car has troubleshot per my knowledge...
Starting point, best use OE plugs and any good wire brand. Pic of second case of this. Autolite plugs with OE wires. Wire clips are loose on some of the plugs making for arcing. Does not misfire, but radiation from the arcs make the car run very bad. Tricks the PCM to fire the plug at the wrong time. This from DOHC but same coil. I cut the wire boot and find the plug VERY loose in the wire clip. Not all plugs, but some. This did not damage the PCM but might if left to run this way.

-chart-

Posted this and nothing happened. Could get nothing to work. Then noted the internet symbol was yellow at the bottom. TV not working. Reboot my system and TV says to check the cable xxxx. Called the cable number and they said they knew they had a cable break and they would be looking for it now. I then said, I can see a fire down the road and see fire trucks and flashing lights, might be the problem. OK, got a message on my phone that they found the fire but they would not their people access and they would fix it as soon as locals let them in to the area. That was after one this afternoon, cable back at 10:00 this evening. It was a barn fire and very old barn very close to the road and power poles.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PlugWires2s.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	208989  

Last edited by chartmaker; 06-24-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus

Quote:
Also, I was talking to a Ford service rep this weekend and he said something that seemed strange to me so if anyone has info on this, let me know. I was talking to him about my problem and one of the 3 Ford service shops I talked to said that it's common for the 12V Vulcan engine to fry PCMs if their spark plugs haven't been changed regularly and that if the gap gets too big, it causes the plug to receive to large of a power draw and then it back feeds into the ignition coil and has been known to back feed to the PCM and fry something inside of it that controls the ignition sequence... Has anyone heard of that? This guy was extremely confident on his response and said that his car is on it's 3rd PCM also for that issue. Sounded fishy but then again, this is a Ford and so far almost nothing about this car has troubleshot per my knowledge...
There are many threads on the subject of PCM failures, including mine.
The explanation is semi plausible but the component that controls the coil, an IGBT, is designed to survive conditions like this.

This may be total gibberish but is shows that the IGBT is designed to cope with excess voltage and current.
https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/e...asheet.pdf.pdf
I believe that some Ford PCM's were fitted with bad or counterfeit IGBT's
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNeil View Post
There are many threads on the subject of PCM failures, including mine.
The explanation is semi plausible but the component that controls the coil, an IGBT, is designed to survive conditions like this.

This may be total gibberish but is shows that the IGBT is designed to cope with excess voltage and current.
https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/e...asheet.pdf.pdf
I believe that some Ford PCM's were fitted with bad or counterfeit IGBT's

Hopefully that was the case with this one and it's just bad design/components. I picked up a used PCM from a local junk yard (I know, it's always a risk) but it's the exact same part number from what originally came with the car. I got the correct numbers from Ford and picked it up. Ford is going to perform the swap and reflash it on Wednesday so I hope it will resolve the issue but I still have my doubts... This car has become the vane of my existence BUT I need it to work. I'm averaging 30-40k miles a year and I need this car to keep up with me. I don't want to buy a new car and have it be worthless in 4 years because it's crossing 180k miles and isn't worth anything.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

I never had a PCM fail in any of my 5 -12 Vulcan engines and four of them had more than 200k miles. I have to believe the PCMs have current limiting designs to prevent coil driver failures.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:29 PM

Year: 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
I never had a PCM fail in any of my 5 -12 Vulcan engines and four of them had more than 200k miles. I have to believe the PCMs have current limiting designs to prevent coil driver failures.
They do. Looking at the datasheet they are rated for 20A continuous and will tolerate a 50A surge, but the ignition coil power circuit already has, I think, a 30A fuse, so that should blow before the IGBT is damaged.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNeil View Post
They do. Looking at the datasheet they are rated for 20A continuous and will tolerate a 50A surge, but the ignition coil power circuit already has, I think, a 30A fuse, so that should blow before the IGBT is damaged.

NMNeil, with knowing that then do you think I should replace that fuse also? Or just verify the fuse is good with a multi-meter? I'm just nervous about slapping another computer in and risk killing it also since I don't know the car's history other than it's gone through 3 computers already. I feel like there is something else causing it to fry or fail... Again, I've checked almost everything I can think of and have listed most of it here so if there is anything else, let me know please.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

I was just thinking that a Ford Tech could verify a bad PCM by using a scope on the PCM coil drivers. Maybe they did.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 AM

Year: 02

Garage
Quote:
Nope, I'll have to call BS on this one. I've been a certified master mechanic for 42 years and it doesn't fly. Sounds like you're listening to the wrong people or only hearing what you want to hear. OEM spark plugs will last close to 100k. Coils ARE an issue as they crack and short to moisture on surface. Inexperienced or unethical mechanics will blame the PCMs because they are confused or frustrated and want to either profit or run the customer off.
So, you're telling me a Ford service rep is on his 3rd PCM because he didn't change his plugs regularly???? Cum'on!
sheila and Jeff K like this.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteve56 View Post
Nope, I'll have to call BS on this one. I've been a certified master mechanic for 42 years and it doesn't fly. Sounds like you're listening to the wrong people or only hearing what you want to hear. OEM spark plugs will last close to 100k. Coils ARE an issue as they crack and short to moisture on surface. Inexperienced or unethical mechanics will blame the PCMs because they are confused or frustrated and want to either profit or run the customer off.
So, you're telling me a Ford service rep is on his 3rd PCM because he didn't change his plugs regularly???? Cum'on!

Rsteve56 - That is what I figured and that's why I turned to the forums. I figured this place would give me the best information from the most experienced. I figured a computer was a long shot and that's why I didn't go with one they tried offering me. I have it getting checked right now and the tech said he's getting a failure from cyl 1 that he's checking wiring and seeing what else he can find since his computer is better than what I have at home. We'll see what he finds and then I'll let you guys know and we'll find out if it will work or not...
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 AM
Devoted Member

if you want to see a good source of auto trouble shooting information, go on Utube and look for Southmain channel.

This guy Eric runs a small shop in NY. He spends WAYYY to much time making understandable and clear videos
on auto troubleshooting using the cars he gets into his shop. When he has issues like this, he has a PICO scope that

he checks the current pulses to the plugs or injectors to help understand where and what the problems are.
His detailed trouble shooting advice is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtA...liY7ko1PBhzTHA

Bob

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page