Aftermarkey MAF popping warning lights - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarkey MAF popping warning lights

So I just installed (and subsequently took back out and replaced with the stock unit again) a Jet Powr-Flo performance mass air flow sensor on my ‘08 Bull....right at 5 mph the drivetrain warning indicator came on. I took it for a quick spin at low speed and it was punchy as hell but the tranny definitely felt like it was taking on too much load. Then the engine light came on. So, I can’t call the company until Monday and I didn’t want to risk getting my car stuck in “limp mode” wich would require taking it to the dealer...

I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu but that did absolutely nothing. Has anyone found a troubleshoot or had a similar issue they were able to correct? This is the only performance MAF I can find, which will suck if I can’t get it to work..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:39 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftain View Post
So I just installed (and subsequently took back out and replaced with the stock unit again) a Jet Powr-Flo performance mass air flow sensor on my 08 Bull....right at 5 mph the drivetrain warning indicator came on. I took it for a quick spin at low speed and it was punchy as hell but the tranny definitely felt like it was taking on too much load. Then the engine light came on. So, I cant call the company until Monday and I didnt want to risk getting my car stuck in limp mode wich would require taking it to the dealer...

I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu but that did absolutely nothing. Has anyone found a troubleshoot or had a similar issue they were able to correct? This is the only performance MAF I can find, which will suck if I cant get it to work..
MAF has nothing to do with performance. Hope you can get your money back. Read codes and see what is bothering your ride with the OE unit on.

-chart-
Automender12345 likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

^^^^ +1000

Without other SERIOUS mods like a cam, intake / head porting, etc, along with a custom tune, any aftermarket MAF will do WAY more harm than good, and will provide zero increase in performance of fuel economy, and probably a decrease in performance and economy.
Automender12345 likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:27 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Was that the only mod you did? In an earlier post you were going to do a tune and some sort of drive by wire mod with a performance chip.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Anything from "Jet" is a scam. Get your money back.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

To follow-up. The only “performance” piece of anything in my car now is the k&n air filter. I called the company and they said they’ve had issued with those so I bought a stock filter but still popped the drivetrain warning light right at 5 mph. I am returning the one from the company I got it through and going to try one more and have an obd2 sensor handy to check codes. The company was willing to work with me. I have a hunch this MAF takes all restrictions off and it’s too much for the drivetrain.

To answer another question, I have had a performance mass air flow sensor with an aftermarket cold air intake on 4 other Fords and this is a first for me. I cannot find an aftermarket cold air intake set up for this car but had read somewhere else that the air intake setup is actually at mass induction (it lays over the top of the engine although thr filter doesn’t run down into the fender wall or anything like most other aftermarket setups do). So my guess is the chip is meant to run wider parameters than this car and drivetrain are supposed to handle. I have never had a drivetrain warning light pop.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftain View Post
I have a hunch this MAF takes all restrictions off and its too much for the drivetrain.

I don't think you get it.

The MAF does one thing - Send a 0 to 5 volt signal to an input on the computer.

It does not and can not 'remove restrictions' from anything. It either sends a higher voltage signal sooner, or later, depending on its calibration.
sheila, Jeff K and sousa632 like this.

RICE - ITS WHATS FOR DINNER !

Eric Lehmann

Lots of V8 SHO's
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:35 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenriddles View Post

It does not and can not 'remove restrictions' from anything. It either sends a higher voltage signal sooner, or later, depending on its calibration.

He is falling for the literature from the vendor that states it reduces the restriction of the MAF by 45%. The MAF has a small restriction to begin with.

There is no way that the cars computer will try to protect the drivetrain because the aftermarket MAF creates so much extra torque.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:37 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenriddles View Post

He is falling for the literature from the vendor that states it reduces the restriction of the MAF by 45%. The MAF has a small restriction to begin with.

There is no way that the cars computer will try to protect the drivetrain because the aftermarket MAF creates so much extra torque. Especially at 5 MPH.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Not falling for the literature, I did forget a step though. I probably need a larger throttle body to allow for the extra air flow. No aftermarket cold air intake available, but it hit me the other day that an aftwrmarket MAF won’t do anything if everything else is stock. I think I’ve gotten so twisted up in trying to find anything to do for this car that I have an incomplete list and would need a few more components to make it work...exhaust and larger throttle body would be a start and not sure I’s go back tk Jet for anything else. Having read the previous comment it sounds like their parts are crap. But none-the-less, I’ve got things that would need to be upgraded ahead of the MAF, since there’s no more airflow being inducted currenty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page