Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/)
-   Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/)
-   -   10% Ethanol VS Ethanol Free "Pure" Gas (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/349021-10-ethanol-vs-ethanol-free-pure-gas.html)

Windrider883 02-10-2019 12:58 PM

10% Ethanol VS Ethanol Free "Pure" Gas

Good Afternoon Bull Riders
Ive got a 2004 Ford SES with 110K. Solid car owned since 77K, Used for touring travel only. It is not VIN coded for E-85 FLEX-Fuel.

I have been using ethanol free fuel for some time and it seems to run better on this fuel, than the high octane 10% ethanol. I only have one location to get Ethanol Free fuel and it is 30 miles away. I was wondering if anyone else had pro or con experiences with these fuel varieties.

TollKeeper 02-10-2019 01:12 PM

My cars all seem to run better on E-0. Fuel mileage doesnt seem to matter, but I can hear a difference in how the engine is running. Less piston slap, etc. On my Avalanche that I can run E-85, fuel mileage goes way down, power stays about the same. The only problem I end up having is that I get a O2 sensor fault when I got back to e-10 or e-0. It lasts for about a tank or 2, than goes away.

MERCrunner 02-10-2019 04:23 PM

Here in MN, we don't have the option of buying ethanol-free gas for our daily drivers...only for classic cars, boats, small engines, etc. can we buy non-ethanol and, it's 91 octane AND approx. $.50/gal more. Been this way for 20 yrs. But, when MN first mandated use of ethanol, I would often run the short distance across state line into WI and fill up with their non-ethanol. I can tell you for certain, my cars would easily get 10-15% better gas mileage on the non-ethanol. Aside from that, I haven't had any performance issues with any of my cars over the years that I can attribute to ethanol.

UKfordguy 02-10-2019 05:03 PM

I don't know of any petrol stations here that sell Ethanol free petrol, I just see the "up to 10%" Ethanol petrol for sale.

sheila 02-10-2019 05:39 PM

E-10 is all I've seen available here in KC. I've ran its 87 octane for years without issue. All my cars are "gas-only" except my '16 ffv Impala.

tman008 02-10-2019 07:37 PM

In MT, you usually see 10% ethanol, though I believe Cenex stations and some Conoco stations have ethanol free 91 octane. To tell you the truth, I've alway just run regular 87 in my car. I don't foresee any loss in mileage to be worth paying the extra cash for premium.

Automender12345 02-10-2019 08:21 PM

I use ethanol free gas in my boat, snowblower, tiller and leak blower. I buy it at a fuel distribution center but it is expensive because it is 89 octane for use on recreational vehicles. I but it essentially because it will not absorb water as much and it protects the fuel system from corrosion. That's the first question the engine manufacturer will ask if there is a fuel related problem under warranty. It will deliver better gas mileage because alcohol has less BTUs per gallon than gasoline.

M_Fisher 02-13-2019 06:52 PM

Before I moved, E-0 was readily available, and I used it as much as possible in my 1997 Explorer SOHC. It yielded significantly more power and fuel economy increased approximately 15%. So it was actually more economical, a win/win. Same thing in my flash-tuned 2005 4.6L Explorer. I have never tried it in any of the Tauruses I have owned through the years.

My power saw it is pretty much mandatory.

I have a 1986 Honda V4 Interceptor (pre fuel injection), and it is absolutely mandatory. The problems that will manifest from introducing even a small amount of E-10 are devastating.

In my opinion, it is absolute garbage, nothing more than political window dressing and a government boondoggle.

4EverFord 02-13-2019 08:56 PM

to see if 100% gas is sold anywhere near...
https://www.pure-gas.org/

jag1959 02-14-2019 09:24 AM

The issues I have seen with it have had more to do with it not being Tier 1 fuel, never had any moisture related issues using 10% in our vehicles but we do always use Tier 1 fuel.