Replaced Timing Chain & Gears - how do I know if cam/crank are lined up? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chartmaker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Replaced Timing Chain & Gears - how do I know if cam/crank are lined up?

As the title says, I replaced the timing chain and gears in my 1998 Ford Taurus with the 12v Vulcan (code U) in it. Figured I would do it since I had to replace the timing chain gasket and cover because of a coolant leak and the car has 250k on it. I took the old chain and gears right off together and then slid the new ones on. The crank and cam remained at the same spot. However, after I replaced them, I noticed that I had slack on the right side of the chain and the left side was tight. Not sure if there was any slack on the right side before I replaced them because I did not check, but I know there was a lot of slack on the left side. So, now I am worried that my timing might be off by a tooth.

The pic I am posting shows the crank gear and cam gear at what appears to be TDC. Does this look correct, or am I one tooth off? Would like to make sure I have this correct before I go ahead and lube it all up and then seal it all up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing Chain - 190104.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	207315  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsroman View Post
As the title says, I replaced the timing chain and gears in my 1998 Ford Taurus with the 12v Vulcan (code U) in it. Figured I would do it since I had to replace the timing chain gasket and cover because of a coolant leak and the car has 250k on it. I took the old chain and gears right off together and then slid the new ones on. The crank and cam remained at the same spot. However, after I replaced them, I noticed that I had slack on the right side of the chain and the left side was tight. Not sure if there was any slack on the right side before I replaced them because I did not check, but I know there was a lot of slack on the left side. So, now I am worried that my timing might be off by a tooth.

The pic I am posting shows the crank gear and cam gear at what appears to be TDC. Does this look correct, or am I one tooth off? Would like to make sure I have this correct before I go ahead and lube it all up and then seal it all up.

Timing marks are OK. Turn the crank a tiny bit CCW and they will align. Slight amount of slack is OK, will change from side to side depending on which way the crank was last turned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TimingMarks.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	207317  
sheila likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page