only runs in acceleration mode - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Update:

Although the problem was the MAP sensor, I found that out by accident. The schematic in Chilton's uses a variable resistor symbol for the MAP. It is not! The MAP is a variable pulse width generator. You need your scope to measure the output. I got lucky when I decided it was faulty due to lack of output voltage variation.

I bought a new MAP from Hong Kong (sinyoauto2011) and it was a POS. The thing fired right up, but driveability was crap. It had a 2 second recovery time after any decrease in pressure. i.e. Whenever I lifted my foot, partially or completely, it would bog when I put my foot back in it. When starting from stop it would launch really hard after the delay, spinning wheels etc. Gas mileage was cut in half to 10mpg. This new MAP has no numbers on it so I wonder if it failed final inspection and was rescued from the trash.

I found an old Lariat F150 in a boneyard with the hood off and no engine. The electrical plug was still connected to the MAP, but not the vacuum so rainwater could have entered it, but for $5 it was worth trying. I swapped it out in the parking lot and it has been running beautifully ever since with driveability and gas mileage restored.

I'm trying to get a refund, but even if I do, with gas at 3 dollars per gallon I have paid dearly for this "new" part.
sheila likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page