Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/)
-   Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/)
-   -   More transmission fun!! (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/347683-more-transmission-fun.html)

Nytr013 10-30-2018 08:41 AM

More transmission fun!!

Last week, my torque converter sheared the splines on my way back to Houston from Lake Charles. Changed it out. Got everything back together. Yes, I used a torque wrench on the pan bolts. Ran it through the gears a few times to fill and check level. Everything is good. No leaks, level is holding and it goes into gear nicely. I test drive it on the freeway (just a quick trip) and everything is fine. I come home and park it. Everything is still fine. I drive back to Lake Charles and nothing seems out of place. I smell a bit of trans fluid, but I don’t see any leaks. I come out the next morning to a murder site. Trans fluid everywhere. I get back to the hotel after work and check it out. A couple of the pan bolts seem a tad looser than it should be. I check all tightness. Everything seems ok again. I fill it up thinking that maybe my pan was loose or improperly torqued. No leaks.
I drive it to the store and around Lake Charles to go shopping. Everything is fine. The next morning another puddle. Ok. I know for a fact that they were torqued this time. Wtf. Start doing some googling on this problem. I found a couple of posts here about a transmission vent. So none of the parts store in LC has them. I’m still on time constraints for my trip home. I Found one in Houston. Got a ride back to Houston and then back to Lake Charles. I go to swap out the vent and I see that it’s different. Damn. So I start looking more into this rubber vent. It’s all the way down. I pull it up in hopes that it helps. I start filling the trans back up. Mercon V is getting expensive. Starts dribbling. Pan gasket is blown out.

Could that be what blew out my gasket? Or do I have other issues?

chartmaker 10-30-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nytr013 (Post 3444243)
Last week, my torque converter sheared the splines on my way back to Houston from Lake Charles. Changed it out. Got everything back together. Yes, I used a torque wrench on the pan bolts. Ran it through the gears a few times to fill and check level. Everything is good. No leaks, level is holding and it goes into gear nicely. I test drive it on the freeway (just a quick trip) and everything is fine. I come home and park it. Everything is still fine. I drive back to Lake Charles and nothing seems out of place. I smell a bit of trans fluid, but I donít see any leaks. I come out the next morning to a murder site. Trans fluid everywhere. I get back to the hotel after work and check it out. A couple of the pan bolts seem a tad looser than it should be. I check all tightness. Everything seems ok again. I fill it up thinking that maybe my pan was loose or improperly torqued. No leaks.
I drive it to the store and around Lake Charles to go shopping. Everything is fine. The next morning another puddle. Ok. I know for a fact that they were torqued this time. Wtf. Start doing some googling on this problem. I found a couple of posts here about a transmission vent. So none of the parts store in LC has them. Iím still on time constraints for my trip home. I Found one in Houston. Got a ride back to Houston and then back to Lake Charles. I go to swap out the vent and I see that itís different. Damn. So I start looking more into this rubber vent. Itís all the way down. I pull it up in hopes that it helps. I start filling the trans back up. Mercon V is getting expensive. Starts dribbling. Pan gasket is blown out.

Could that be what blew out my gasket? Or do I have other issues?

Pull the vent cap off and see if it stops dribbling oil. Vent cap is not essential. My used '03 wagon did not have one. I got one from the JY. But most important: it goes on only to the first bulge, and it should be wobbly loose. Push it on all the way, even by accident and you will dribble a puddle every day. Been there.

-chart-