A taurus problem that might stump you. - Page 7 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1994
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.8L Essex

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
So the saga continues. Since my last long post I had given up on the car. Then when I went over to my brothers (where he has been really cool and let me keep it there) to tinker around with it, it started running fine again. The only thing we changed was that we redid some of the grounds. I drove it around, no problems. Except for chunks of the catalytic converter coming out of the tail pipe. And these were not chunks of carbon. These were chunks of a metal honeycomb like material. Some of it was melted. So I don't think I have to worry about cat being plugged up. Back to the main problem. It was running fine. I let it idle for a while. Drove it around the neighborhood. Took it out of the neighborhood so I could floor it. Car ran perfectly. Parked it. Ate lunch. Got back in to start it. It cranked up fine. Idled fine. No CEL, or black smoke. Drove it around some more and it was fine. Put the code reader on it and it actually worked. I didn't get any trouble codes. Just the 111 all clear code. This was Sunday. I left it at my brothers. He went out and cranked Tuesday, and it was fine. So it went a day and a half. He called me today (Friday) and said that he had to use starting fluid to get it to crank. And that the CEL came on as soon as he got it to crank. And that it bogged down when he hit the pedal. He tried to drive it around his neighborhood but said that it kept stalling out. And once again it refuses to interface with my code reader. To me it seems like we are so close to figuring it out. Can anyone please help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

If you got a few pieces of cat material out the muffler then there is a lot still in the muffler. It is possibly plugging your muffler and falling back down letting the car run fine until it is blown back into the baffles.
post #63 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1994
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.8L Essex

Garage
But could that cause it to show a CEL before the car is even cranked? It will run fine for a couple of days, then after it sits it will act up again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page