Advice on engine source '02 Dutatec "S" - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By HighDesertSable

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2002
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Question Advice on engine source '02 Dutatec "S"

Hello all,

In Feb, head gasket blew due to overheating. On 3/9, I ordered a reman from O'Reilly Auto. After 4 bad crate engines in a row, I am requesting that they cash me out, which they are pretty much agreeing to.

Question is..where do I go from here? I like the idea of a reman w/ 3 year warranty...BUT if they aren't any better than a used one, than I guess I don't see the point of dropping all that extra cash.

The site remanufactoredenginesforsale.com quoted me 2375 = 275 core, shipped to me, 3 yr/100k warranty, claimed that they get these from the Ford plant. Ford quoted me 5294 for the same thing, BUT said the cores are hard to come by. Legit?

Or, am I wasting my time/money, should I just look for a used engine (warranty?) on car-part.com?

I am new at engine replacement, and really appreciate any advice. This thing has been kicking my butt. I just want my T-wagon back!

What would you do?

Thank you so much, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

It's not a common occurrence to blow a head on a Tec. Generally they are very reliable and it's ancillary components that fail, internal engine repairs are rare. They are easily 250k+ motors so if you can find one through car-part.com that is reasonably local with @ 100k or less on it you should be able to save yourself quite a bit. Not to mention unlike the crate motor issue you've had you know one from a JY already has experience sending a Bull down the road. Before installation you can also head off a couple of the more annoying common repairs like the oil pan gasket and alternator while access to them is easy.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Jag1959, I will look then

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 02:42 AM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
I agree. Mine was near 200k with no internal issue (and some pretty good neglect- a 23k oil change for example.

Motor will still run if I go try, care was totalled, but is sitting in the yard.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1959 View Post
It's not a common occurrence to blow a head on a Tec. Generally they are very reliable and it's ancillary components that fail, internal engine repairs are rare. They are easily 250k+ motors so if you can find one through car-part.com that is reasonably local with @ 100k or less on it you should be able to save yourself quite a bit. Not to mention unlike the crate motor issue you've had you know one from a JY already has experience sending a Bull down the road. Before installation you can also head off a couple of the more annoying common repairs like the oil pan gasket and alternator while access to them is easy.

I am a little late on this. O'Reilly cashed me out after I threatened them with a suit...including some rental car expenses.

I took your advice, bought a used one for 650 (65K miles), been fine ever since.

Thank you!! Dave
sheila likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesertSable View Post
I am a little late on this. O'Reilly cashed me out after I threatened them with a suit...including some rental car expenses.

I took your advice, bought a used one for 650 (65K miles), been fine ever since.

Thank you!! Dave

I'm facing the same job on my '02 and already picked up a used engine. Just out of curiosity, did you pull the engine out the top or did you drop the subframe to replace it? I've heard the subframe drop is the way to go but I'm working alone and worry they full weight of engine/trans/subframe will be difficult to get back in. I did a trans swap on a taurus a while back so I do know what's involved in the subframe drop.

Kevin

Current stable
2004 Sable LS Prem DOHC
2003 Taurus SES Vulcan
2002 Taurus SES DOHC - currently getting a new engine

Retired: 2001 Taurus SES DOHC, 2000 Taurus SE Vulcan, 1994 Sable GS, 1988 Taurus LX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page