Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

misfires when shifting

653 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  idiot#17 
#1 · (Edited)
mystery problem cant find any info

hi i cant find anything on what this might be but my bull refuses to down shift unless it has to stop signs red lights etc and when it shifts it sounds like traction control is engaging when it is turned off and when cruising it sounds like weak combustion in one of the cylinders i currently have codes for both cats and the tp sensor it have 240k miles i cant find anything on it or figure it out any help would be appreciated its a 04 ses with the duratec

update
ok i got the codes and they say bank 1 & 2 cats are going out tp sensor out of range low and max speed / revolutions reached then when i went to fill it up with gas the problem had lessened after i put gas in i put in a quarter tank of 93 octane to see if that would help i pulled out of the gas station and it seemed fine then about half down the road as i hit the gas it suddenly misfiring like crazy and the cel started flashing so i pulled onto my road put it in neutral and shut it off and cruised most of the way to my house and started again less then an 1/8 mile away and it was still misfiring a lot but the cel wasn't flashing I have checked the front three spark plugs and they don't look bad i haven't checked the rears yet i appreciate all suggestions sorry for and spelling errors

update two
ok when i rev the engine in neutral it feels like there is spinning weight in the engine compartment and when i drove to my grandmas i did a pull and it seems like it goes crazy in the top end of the rpm range but the down shift problem seems to have disappeared i pulled the battery out to try and reset the pcm and codes if anyone has suggestions please tell me this is the only car that i have if it helps last saturday me and my dad tried doing a compression test but none of the adapters fit right i thought i got one screwed in but when we cranked it over the tester shot out of the plug hole

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
mystery problem cant find info

hi i cant find anything on what this might be after a couple of hours of searching but my bull refuses to down shift unless it has to stop signs red lights etc and when it shifts it sounds like traction control is engaging when it is turned off and when cruising it sounds like weak combustion in one of the cylinders i currently have codes for both cats and the tp sensor it have 240k miles i cant find anything on it or figure it out any help would be appreciated its a 04 ses with the duratec i got the codes and they say bank 1 & 2 cats are going out tp sensor out of range low and max speed / revolutions reached then when i went to fill it up with gas the problem had lessened after i put gas in i put in a quarter tank of 93 octane to see if that would help i pulled out of the gas station and it seemed fine then about half down the road as i hit the gas it suddenly misfiring like crazy and the cel started flashing so i pulled onto my road put it in neutral and shut it off and cruised most of the way to my house and started again less then an 1/8 mile away and it was still misfiring a lot but the cel wasn't flashing I have checked the front three spark plugs and they don't look bad i haven't checked the rears yet when i rev the engine in neutral it feels like there is spinning weight in the engine compartment and when i drove to my grandmas i did a pull and it seems like it goes crazy in the top end of the rpm range but the down shift problem seems to have disappeared i pulled the battery out to try and reset the pcm and codes if it helps last saturday me and my dad tried doing a compression test but none of the adapters fit right i thought i got one screwed in but when we cranked it over the tester shot out of the plug hole if anyone has suggestions please tell me this is the only car that i have

Moderator edit: Your threads have been merged, please keep your posts confined to one thread it helps others to help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.