Starting Car With Dead Battery - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Starting Car With Dead Battery

I have a 1999 Sable that due to circumstances has been park in my back yard since November 2015. However, my city has order me to ether hide it in my garage, get rid of it, or get it re-register if I don’t want to be fined or jailed! Now the only practical way of doing it is to move it under its own power, but, just before I “stored it” the then 27 month old battery died where it was parked (hence it was unable to be garaged). I was told by the local Auto Zone the problem is that the battery has a short and can’t hold a charge. Now, the simple solution would be to buy a new battery, however, I can’t afford the $120 cost. And I really don’t want to get one since it might be a while (in the process killing the new battery) till I can afford to get the Sable back on the road. So, I am wondering, if any of the 3 below solutions is possible.

1: Just use a regular battery charger and hope that the battery can keep enough of a charge to start the car

2: Can I use something I seen in stores called an “engine starter?” Something along the lines of the “MiniMax” or “Powerall” products I have seen on TV. Or should it be a more “reliable” product?

3: Can I use a non OEM size battery, or does it have to match the cranking amps of a Duratec engine? Which BTW according to the owner’s manual is 800 cranking Amps / 650 CCA.
Buffalo Bull is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

 
jag1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8
Posts: 14,724
Rep Power: 120
       
Trader Score: 0 reviews
You can simply use a known good 'loaner' battery from another vehicle. In addition to all the normal things you would expect to do before firing up a vehicle that's been stored for a while it would be a good idea to rotate the engine by hand then pull the fuel pump relay and give it a couple of very quick starter bumps before replacing the relay and firing it up.

Last edited by jag1959; 05-12-2017 at 02:24 PM.
jag1959 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Sorry for the delay, but, I been doing the 7 other things that my City wants done to make my house look pretty.

The simple answer to my question is, of course, borrow a battery. However, I don't know anyone with a battery to spare. So, as a first try, I am going to use my friend's "regular" battery charger from Montgomery Wards. If that don't work, I have to next get a hold of either a dedicated engine starter or something along the lines of a MiniMax.

In the meantime I have a question about your statement:
Quote:
to rotate the engine by hand then pull the fuel pump relay and give it a couple of very quick starter bumps before replacing the relay and firing it up.
I assume that by very quick starter bumps you mean "turn the key" on/off with-out the fuel relay is place.

But, how do I rotate the engine by hand?
Buffalo Bull is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY State
Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Posts: 9,508
Rep Power: 99
      
Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bull View Post
I have a 1999 Sable that due to circumstances has been park in my back yard since November 2015. However, my city has order me to ether hide it in my garage, get rid of it, or get it re-register if I don’t want to be fined or jailed! Now the only practical way of doing it is to move it under its own power, but, just before I “stored it” the then 27 month old battery died where it was parked (hence it was unable to be garaged). I was told by the local Auto Zone the problem is that the battery has a short and can’t hold a charge. Now, the simple solution would be to buy a new battery, however, I can’t afford the $120 cost. And I really don’t want to get one since it might be a while (in the process killing the new battery) till I can afford to get the Sable back on the road. So, I am wondering, if any of the 3 below solutions is possible.

1: Just use a regular battery charger and hope that the battery can keep enough of a charge to start the car

2: Can I use something I seen in stores called an “engine starter?” Something along the lines of the “MiniMax” or “Powerall” products I have seen on TV. Or should it be a more “reliable” product?

3: Can I use a non OEM size battery, or does it have to match the cranking amps of a Duratec engine? Which BTW according to the owner’s manual is 800 cranking Amps / 650 CCA.
I bought a '92 Sable from an estate that had been sitting outside for 4 years with no battery. I got a used one from a JY, drove the car ~600 miles and gave it to my daughter. Put a can of gas in it and it started right up.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
If you can start a car sitting for 4 years then I should have no problem starting one that has been sitting for only 20 months

Now, the only problem is that will I be allowed to carry a used battery from the junk yard home on a bus
Buffalo Bull is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY State
Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Posts: 9,508
Rep Power: 99
      
Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bull View Post
If you can start a car sitting for 4 years then I should have no problem starting one that has been sitting for only 20 months

Now, the only problem is that will I be allowed to carry a used battery from the junk yard home on a bus
Put it in a brown bag.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
I tried using my friend's old (From Montgomery Ward!) battery Charger, but, when I used it a clicking noise came from the engine and the needle of Amp meter swing wildly. I know from doing a google search why this is happening, but, I do have 3 questions.

1: If I just "forget" about the noise, and keep the charger connected, will I do any harm?

2: Will the cigarette lighter work if I do the above? I need it to attach a tire inflator to it since one tires is VERY flat and I suspect the other 3 could use a top up.

3: Is it possible to start the car (I only need it to do it once or twice) with the charger connected?

Of course all my problems would be solved if I had any money, but, With-out employment that is a little hard
Buffalo Bull is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:21 PM
Junior Member
 
leonedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Baltimore MD
Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Posts: 94
Rep Power: 9
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
a very long time ago
I was charging a dead car battery with one of those cheap battery chargers
(This thing had little more than a +12v AC transformer & diodes inside)

& accidentally tried starting the car with the charger still hooked up & powered on


Result was lots of smoke when the Alternator kicked in & overpowered the Charger
from +14v dc backfeeding into it


At least the car wasn't hurt.

A starter pulls lots of current to crank an engine

can't get that kind of deep draw current from a typical puny battery charger

Previous Bull Car: 1997 Taurus GL Sedan 3.0 Vulcan
Bought: May 1999, Junked: March 2016 (unibody shell rust L&R under the doors)

Last edited by leonedog; 07-31-2017 at 07:43 PM.
leonedog is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:17 PM
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY State
Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Posts: 9,508
Rep Power: 99
      
Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonedog View Post
a very long time ago
I was charging a dead car battery with one of those cheap battery chargers
(This thing had little more than a +12v AC transformer & diodes inside)

& accidentally tried starting the car with the charger still hooked up & powered on


Result was lots of smoke when the Alternator kicked in & overpowered the Charger
from +14v dc backfeeding into it


At least the car wasn't hurt.

A starter pulls lots of current to crank an engine

can't get that kind of deep draw current from a typical puny battery charger
Basic idea is the jumper battery/charger builds some charge in the dead/weak battery in the car. It needs some time to do that. On a weak battery maybe couple minutes minimum. Dead battery maybe longer. If the dead battery is shorted than nothing is going to work.

On my riding lawn mower, I used one of those lithium jumpers on the mower who's battery would not even click. Immediate it would not quite turn the engine. Give it full minute and it cranked just fine.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Again Thanks For the information

Before my last post I connect the charger directly on the 12 volt setting (its only control is a toggle switch marked 6 volt and 12 volt) to the battery for 5 hours. Nothing happen.

The next day I sandpapered clean the battery's terminals before reconnect the charger for 8 hours. Still no charge, but, this time I noticed that the Amp meter was showing 2 amps.

I have read that with these types of cheep/simple chargers that this means that the charger is sending current to the battery, and at this rate it would take up to 24 hours to charge.

I'll try to keep the battery charger connect for that long and let you know if anything happen. Even If just can get enough power to run the tire inflator!
Buffalo Bull is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery dying -- cables? snarkdiva Maintenance and Repair 28 01-04-2015 09:46 PM
Not your average dead battery drsgfire Electronics, Security, Audio and Visual 8 11-21-2014 09:42 PM
After water pump replacement battery going dead clarson651 Maintenance and Repair 11 10-28-2013 11:16 PM
Dead Battery (the possibilities?) NorthernTaurus Maintenance and Repair 13 09-21-2013 07:53 PM
Why won’t my car start? - Comprehensive No-Start Troubleshooting Guide behlinla Maintenance and Repair 1 01-05-2013 11:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome